BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
hdfan said:
Is there a preload adjustment for the stock front shock?
Yup - what Ted said. However, Ohlins is an aftermarket shock manufacturer and Parts-Unlimited is one of their vendors and I noticed an ad in MOA ON mag regarding on-the-fly adjustable shocks - front and rear. They don't list a unit for the K1200LT, butt they do for a coupla other BMW models. Click here for P-U on-line description. I'm not even sure the LT's telelever and/or paralever arrangement would benefit from a product like this, or even be able to be integrated as a retro unit. Food for thought, tho.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Hi Ken , you could put some pre-load on the front shock . You need to take the shock off . Then take it apart , and put some shims under the spring . There isn't any pre-load on the spring , so if you shim it up a little it might do what you want it to do .

After I had Hannigan put our sidecar on our LT . I didn't like the way our rig turned , but it did go straight real good . Anyway it was way harder to turn than It was on our old K100/EML GT2 . So I then added there ( Hannigan's) steering offset thingy to move the front wheel out around 1"+ on our K1200LT . That made it a lot easier to turn , and it still when straight real good . Our old rig was real twitchy going straight , it would move back and forth 3"-4" all the time when your trying to go in a straight line . But you could run with the big dogs in a turn . After the front end change on our K1200/Hannagan2+2 our front fender would hit the bottom of the fairing , when we hit a bad bump . So I got a heavy duty spring from Hannigan ,And put that on . I had to turn part of the spring landing down a little , as the new spring was a bit bigger . And I had to compress it a round 1" to get it put back together . But that did the trick , and all's well etc .

Anyway It would take a lot of work , but you could stiffen up the spring a little if you wanted to .Hope this is of some help (;-»)...patric ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts