BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can it be tested simply? On a car we can just bounce on a corner but it doesn't appear that it is an option on the LT.

Two front tyres have been worn out quite quickly, last one lasted around about 4000 miles and have the scalloped wear that would be typical of a lack of damping on a car. I could just swap it out but I don't really want to go to the expense on a 28000 mile 'bike When it really should be lasting for 100k plus.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
191 Posts
Scimitar:

What tyre (tire) have you mounted. Brand and specs. I ask because I had my front tyre (tire) replaced shortly after I purchased my 03 LTE and went to a local motorcycle supply shop (Cycle Gear) Never having had purchased a tyre (tire) for a motorcycle before, I was only interested in size and cost, not paying too much attention to the rest of the specs. Well long story short the salesperson directed me to the touring and spot tyres they had in stock and I picked the correct tyre size, but it was a radial, and later found that the weight and speed ratings were off, subsequently the tyre wore out very quickly and started this scalloped / cupping type wear that you've described.

I'm currently at 10400.00+ miles I replaced the front with a Metzler Bias that is spec'd out for size, speed and weight rating and have not seen any sign of scallop or cupping, I also run my tyre a bit over OEM recommended pressure. Maybe it is theFront Shock, but maybe it the tyre specs?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I run the Bridgestone BT-020 which are correctly specified for the LT. The last tyre was an Avon which looked the same, wear wise when I bought the LT.

A little history...

At some point in the past, it was involved in a collision, although that is probably irrelevant. I bought it at 24k miles because the owner thought the handling to be dangerous. When I first rode it, I had to agree and blamed the worn Avons which I swapped out for the BT-020. It felt normal then but I have noticed a vagueness about the handling recently.

What mileage are others getting from a front tyre? I was convinced that a front would last twice as long as a rear, but maybe I am confused?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,352 Posts
I get twice the rear mileage on average, but that was all ME 880 fronts. I am currently on a BT front but don’t have more the 6,000 on it but it is wearing fine.

If the bike was in a wreck, perhaps the front trailing arm is bent. Dealers have a tool to check it.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I've only run Metz for 60,000+mi. 14k front; 10k rear, on average. I did find, early on, that keeping a close eye on pressure (42/48), before every ride, that I received extended miles.

Have fun,
Jer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts