BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone posted a set of step by step instructions on changing brake pads "for dummies" :eek: like me?
If so, please pass along the link. I had a look in the technical articles section but didn't see anything. I suspect it's because it's so simple nobody thought it necessary .........
Thanks,
Keir

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
wkclark said:
Has anyone posted a set of step by step instructions on changing brake pads "for dummies" :eek: like me?
If so, please pass along the link. I had a look in the technical articles section but didn't see anything. I suspect it's because it's so simple nobody thought it necessary .........
Thanks,
Keir
This thread will take care of the rear brake pad change. I'm still looking around for a thread on the fronts.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
I don't have a link but there is no need to remove the front calipers on the integral brakes. There are two small hex screws that hold the antirattle springs. Once those are off there is a central pin with a clip that retains it. Pull it much like the rears in Dick's link. Use the old pads to force the pistons back and then insert the new pads.

A good cleaning with brake cleaner is always in order to remove all the old dust. Make sure you operate the brakes several times before riding off lest you get a big suprize the first time you try to stop!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts