1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
These people are right. have to remove the mirror and there are 3 screws under there to get
the plastic off. It can be difficult to get the mirror off. Use a flat extension from your socket set. Push it thru the air slots from the front and lightly push on the back of the mirror and should pop off. Hard to describe in writing, hope i helped.

Zeke

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
+1 on removing the mirror to get at the screws underneath.
Not sure about the "flat extensions" through the front, never tried that.
It can be quite difficult to remove the mirror, but I find a couple of thin flat bars, one on each side under the mirror, and carefully lever up from the body. Also a couple of large zip ties fed in around the mirror from the outer and inner sides ( as per when the mirror was attached to the bike ) can help to loosen the snap ring that holds it together. Pull on both evenly. I've read giving the whole assembly a good "wack" on a carpet ( mirror down ) will loosen it, but that's never worked for me. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sounds like Doc Holiday.

You know how surgeons sterilize before they begin to slice, so the attendants offer the spirits only to see him put it to his lips. Well I say go get it you need that preparation for any operation. Will be reading further to see how you made out.
Now I am assuming a broken mirror why the change. Did the whole assembly need replacement. I know this is an entirely different process but I have done mirror changes on a Goldwing and the housing was damaged so had to change the whole thing. The glass was part of the pre-assembled package. The only thing I had to do was unscrew and replace. Hope you are successful with the scalpel.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bill,

Damage was caused by something falling on the bike. Insurance is paying. A new mirror came with the mirror body, so not too worried.

Will do this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts