BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for instructions for changing the front pads. I can only find out how to change the rear ones, is the process the same?
Regards
Terry

·
Registered
601 Posts
Terry,
Need to remove the calipers and re-torque per BMW specs. The critical thing to remember is to take an extra 2 minutes and duct tape your wheel so that when you remove the calipers, you don't scratch the wheel paint.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Sunderland said:
Terry,
Need to remove the calipers and re-torque per BMW specs. The critical thing to remember is to take an extra 2 minutes and duct tape your wheel so that when you remove the calipers, you don't scratch the wheel paint.
Actually, if you have the newer integrated brakes (the caliper will have BMW on it rather than the BREMBO our older ones have) I understand they can be removed while the caliper remains in place. They will come out the top of the caliper after some pins have been removed, much like the rear ones do.

Have never changed any of the new ones yet, but many of the older ones. And the instructions given in the previous thread about removing the calipers and being careful not to scratch your rim are good ones.

John

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yep, pull the pin an pop them out... HOWEVER, you will need to push the caliper pistons back in order to put the new (thicker) pads in. Of course BMW has a specical tool for this, but I suggest you carefully insert a large flat piece of metal, like a screwdriver, and pry them back. If no success, then remove the calipers and use a C-clamp or ? YMMV.

BTW, at my 24k I had worn about .017" off of my front pads, so I did not replace them just took 'em out, inspected them and put 'em back in. My back pads were somewhat glazed so I replaced them even though they were only about 1/3 worn.

Good luck!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I just did mine this past week for the first time. Long story: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12055

Short story: Even on a 1999 with Brembo brakes it is possible to remove the pads without removing the calipers, but it is not recommended procedure and I have never heard of anyone doing it in the way that I described in my post. Also, the retaining pin with the slotted head that looks like a screw is not a screw. 2+ hours for me to figure that one out. The new brakes are 100% superior to the old ones; stop on a dime with very little pressure on the lever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts