BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my front fender has started to separate from the black rubbery part. Any ideas on what kind of glue I could use to reattach?

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Isn't the front half of the fender attached with screws so that it can be removed to allow the front wheel to be removed? At least it is on my 06 LT!

Maybe check the screws are tight.

gpolakow said:
Just noticed my front fender has started to separate from the black rubbery part. Any ideas on what kind of glue I could use to reattach?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Bighopper said:
Isn't the front half of the fender attached with screws so that it can be removed to allow the front wheel to be removed? At least it is on my 06 LT!

Maybe check the screws are tight.
+1 on ole Toad (circa '99). I currently have the front fender fiberglass piece off to remove the front tire, and the rear 'mud guard' portion is still attached to the fork brace.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I used the plastic epoxy that you mix together to fix mine. Came apart 2 times
the 3rd time I drilled very small holes in both pieces and has been good for 3yrs now.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice. A friend came by while I was changing my oil and said he could repair the fender for me. He's using epoxy and a piece of fiberglass tape on the back to make the repair. We'll see if it holds. Seems to me front fenders shouldn't break like this. I'd say this is a design flaw.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Guess you are right on the design flaw Greg, seems they all do that. However, since the LT isn't made anymore, that is a moot point.

I have found that a lot of people (me included) have grabbed the front fender to try to raise the front wheel off the ground there by causing the problem. I repaired mine with West System G/flex epoxy and a strip of fiberglass cloth on the underside as your friend is doing. Has held up fine and I DON'T grab the fender anymore. :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
gpolakow said:
Thanks everyone for the advice. A friend came by while I was changing my oil and said he could repair the fender for me. He's using epoxy and a piece of fiberglass tape on the back to make the repair. We'll see if it holds. Seems to me front fenders shouldn't break like this. I'd say this is a design flaw.

This is why they changed the front fender design in 2005. You will notice that the newer ones are braced much better.

Ron

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Boatzo said:
I have found that a lot of people (me included) have grabbed the front fender to try to raise the front wheel off the ground there by causing the problem. :D
When I check the air on the front tire with the bike on the center stand, I put my shoulder underneath the nose cone and lift up gently to rotate the front tire. So far no problems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
gpolakow said:
Mine cracked from both sides toward the middle. It got so bad I was rubbing the front tire at speed. When I had it off for my last tire change, I just used a fiberglass repair kit from the auto parts store, glassed up the backside and bolted it back on. It has worked like a champ for the last year and the repair cannot be seen. My front tire is worn out again so I will be checking it soon.

The fender is much more structurally rigid now than when new.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine also broke at the same location. I tried a couple different glues and epoxies all held for a short time but then broke. I finally just cut it off and road with a partial fender until I found one on Ebay. It may work if you try fiberglass epoxy but I have no experience with it . Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts