BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear part of my front fender is broken. Anyone got an idea where I could get one? The beemer bone yard is out of stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine broke on a trip last year. I toted it home and used fiberglass matt to repair it. Really very easy. Clean it up. Sand around the damage on the underside. Used denatured alcohol to wipe it down. Cut fiber cloth to size. Mixed a small batch of resin and activator. Brushed it on with a throw away brush. Lay the cloth on the area. Put more resin on the top of the glass and get as many air bubbles out as you can. I just used one layer of glass. You may want to use more. Got everything I needed at Wal Mart. Good luck.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Front mud guard, rear SCHWARZ 1 46612307911 $73.80

Here is the OEM part number and cost.

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Not an uncommon failure, do the fiberglass repair and then keep an eye open on ebay for a replacement.
Take a look at the threads below your post and you will see a few other repair suggestions. HTH

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Mine also broke , I bent some small alumimn plates to mach the shape of were it broke. Then pop riveted them in place. Then I did the fiber glass patch over that. It has held up around 5 years...so far...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dave, what I first tried was epoxy and that broke again, then I tried JB Weld and that broke again. What I tried next was after reading on the forum was to cut two small pieces of aluminum and bend to a 90 degree bend, drill some holes in it and then tried the JB Weld again. This time it seems to have worked. I did put a bead of it outside the fender also but that wasn't a good idea. Since I had to have the fender upside to keep the brackets in place until the JB set up the bead sagged on the outside of the fender. I should have waited until later to do that. Flat black paint worked to cover the JB Weld.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts