BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to locate a new rattle on my 03 K1200LT I discovered that my front fender has started to separate. Anyone with a 99-04 front fender, preferably black but I can have it painted? Thanks!!

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
You can buy ABS plastic two part epoxy at a parts store & fix it from the back side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Saddleman, I did a search on this site and it didn’t sound like fixes worked to good. Granted they were older posts. I’ll give it a try. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Hi , Like Dave say's patch it up on the inside. I bent some flat aluminum plate up & pop riveted it up first to mechanically hold it in place together, then I patched up the crack . You only see the head of the pop rivet, & it kind of looks like it belongs there anyway..:wave

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mine has been patched for over 7-8 years, and holding nicely. If you catch it soon, perhaps gives you a better chance the repair will last. Good luck-couple tubes of JB weld or other epoxy way cheaper than the new OEM fender!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi , Like Dave say's patch it up on the inside. I bent some flat aluminum plate up & pop riveted it up first to mechanically hold it in place together, then I patched up the crack . You only see the head of the pop rivet, & it kind of looks like it belongs there anyway..:wave
Nice work! I should have done this last year.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I patched mine multiple times with all kinds of different methods and the PO had done the same. i thought I had it nice and solid but it fell off somewhere in Texas. I watched Ebay until my color and year came around and got a perfect match. Whatever you do, don't tighten down too much on the sides of the fender as I think that really creates the problem. ON a black fender, some pop rivets would be fine and no one will ever notice them.If my latest fender starts to crack away, I will go the metal and pop rivet method myself.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
The fender is ABS plastic if you don't use the correct epoxy it won't stick very well. The correct epoxy will weld to the ABS plastic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts