BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 K12LT with 165K and just noticed a slight front end wobble with hard braking. I noticed that the steering damper has some play in it but what else should I check for possible issues. Brakes are good and so are tires.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I have an '06 K12LT with 165K and just noticed a slight front end wobble with hard braking. I noticed that the steering damper has some play in it but what else should I check for possible issues. Brakes are good and so are tires.
Thanks
If truly a wobble, I would suspect cupped tire. If a pulsing feeling, then likely pad imprinting on the front rotors.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also have a 2006LT but with only 20,000 miles. Recently did the Tail of the Dragon, 2-up and loaded. New BT-020 tires front and rear, steering damper recently rebuilt, suspension in good condition, tire pressure 42/48 psi. During really hard braking into sharp turns I noticed the same front-end "head-shake", sometimes quite strong. Going fast around sharp turns is however not what the LT was designed for, so I guess the head-shake is just a reminder to slow the pace down a little.

It did shake its head with the previous Metzeler front tire when lifting the hands off the handlebars below 50mph, but since I fitted the BT-020 there is none of that anymore, at any speed. The tire has a little over 2,000 miles now, and I expect the shake will eventually return as it wears.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tire is good with good pressure. I took the tire off and think I found the problem. The two bolts holding the right front shock to the stabilizer were loose. I tightened them and also ordered front brake pads as they are close. Hopefully this was the issue. Everything else seemed tight without oil leakage.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
I've had mine shake so bad the CD would skip under hard braking. Seems normal to me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost hot a moose last year near Dawson City, two up with trailer. I braked so hard the ABS was chirping on the road without head shake. I hope this fixes the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts