BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
eric80233 said:
Yea, I looked at both Hyperpro and Wilbers. Hyperpro doesn't make one for '99, and I couldn't find a website that showed what Wilbers had for the '99. I would assume those are the only two aftermarket players. I really don't want to get an OEM one at $360+ if there's an aftermarket version.
I bought Performance Works shocks; $1,300 is the going price for any aftermarket set of shocks. You will want to find out about adjustments for length, damping, compression, and rebound. Aftermarket guys will want to know your inseam length, weight while riding, luggage weight, and percentage of time you ride solo or 2-up. The PW shocks were set just right in length; only had to adjust compression out 2 clicks.

There are aftermarket steering dampers; none are rebuildable that I know of. Aftermarket and OEM are about the same price for dampers; $300.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my '99LT, and I'm close to throwing in the towel and calling the whole thing a bad decision. What I have has been described in other threads I've read, but I haven't seen any resolution. When I drive on a road, it seems like the whole front end is ready to come off the ground. It feels like I'm driving on a singular point on the tire, and it's scaring the heck out of me. The front end feels incredibly unstable. I've tried everything I've read and know of -- changed the rear preload, checked/changed tires for pressure, uneven wear, tried to put more weight on the front wheel by moving forward on the seat, all to no avail. This happens loaded or unloaded, although when loaded, the problem seems to be exascerbated. I don't have the infamous wobble. Nothing seems to fix this problem. Can anybody help?
I understand this post is old but I am wondering if you found the cause to the problem, I am experiencing same problem on my 09 .

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
Which tires are you running and what are the pressures. How long have you had it?

We never did get to the bottom of this with the original poster. I would like to solve it.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
365 Posts
I understand this post is old but I am wondering if you found the cause to the problem, I am experiencing same problem on my 09 .
I bought a 2009 described as "dangerous" by the owner. It certainly wasn't confidence inspiring. Changing the worn Avon tyres for new Bridgestone BT-020 transformed it back into what I had been used to with my other LTs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2009 described as "dangerous" by the owner. It certainly wasn't confidence inspiring. Changing the worn Avon tyres for new Bridgestone BT-020 transformed it back into what I had been used to with my other LTs.
I am running metzeler me 880 marathon front and rear, new tires last week, I though new tires might fix the problem. I put 450000 miles on the bike, this is first time I experienced this problem on this bike.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I am running metzeler me 880 marathon front and rear, new tires last week, I though new tires might fix the problem. I put 450000 miles on the bike, this is first time I experienced this problem on this bike.
I am not sure I completely understand the symptoms. The old thread used terms like “feels like the whole front end is coming off the ground” and “feels like a singular point on the tire” and such. I am not sure how to interpret that. And you said you have the same feeling. Do you mean it feels like you are ready to pop a wheelie all of the time? That is, the front end feels very light? If so, is this because the steering effort is unusually low or because the front feels high and the rear low as though about to do a wheelie? And by feeling unstable, does this mean the bike wanders side to side slowly? Or are the forks oscillating at high frequency aka a tank slapper? A little more detailed description would help since none of us can ride your bike to feel what you are feeling.

Also, did this start all of the sudden or come on gradually? Was any maintenance or repair work done right before this started? You said you thought changing tires might help, so I assume this started with the prior tires.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
You say you have new tires but they are ME880's that have not been made for several years now so I wonder what the date codes are?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This came on gradually, the front tire was scalloped bad so I thought that was the problem and got new tires. The front wheel has floating feeling seems worst on four lane highways with wind. Thinking maybe the steering damper, how much play should there be left to right on the damper.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
The only time the damper comes into play is very fast side to side movement. If you want to test it put the bike on the center stand and climb aboard so that the front tire is in the air and move the bars side to side slowly then as fast as you can. If the damper is working you will feel it on the fast movement. What are the pressures you are running on the new tires?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correction the tires are 888 and front is 36 psi and the back is 42 psi. I checked the damper and it’s seems fine when I move the wheel left to right with a fast movement.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
That is good that they are 888s. Most of the LT riders (myself included for over 16 years now) here have run 42 and 48 on the tires and found they lasted a bit longer before cupping. It does make the ride a bit harsher but it feels planted. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I up the tire pressure to the values you suggested and it did improve the handling, still little play in the front end. If I loosen up my grip on the handler bars to the point I am barely touching the handlebars start to shake from side to side. Is this normal on the LT, first time I tried it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is the manufacturing date of your front tyre? I had the same on 2017 with my front tyre ME888 (first year of ME888 production) and I could feel the problem as soon as I left from the tyre shop with new tyres. After removing the front tyre one week later at the shop we checked and found that tyre was distorted. It was renewed and the problem solved but even like that I could feel small treble between 60km speed. Then I read comments here and increase the pressure to 38psi. Problem solved. Last year I put new front ME888 and follow the same pressure with no problems. I would recommend not to go with pressure more than 40psi on the front since when the tyre warms up the pressure goes close to the maximum safety one which is about 44psi according to Metzeller

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,767 Posts
The max pressure stated on the tire is always the COLD pressure. Mine goes to 48 when fully hot and the rear exceeds the 48 by going to 54 HOT. Normal pressures for a hot tire. I had one ME 880 that was actually out of round and several US LT owners have had bubbles form on the ME 888 so beware.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cold is 40psi for the frontvif i remember well. No need to have tire with running pressure at 46 if I can achieve good performance with cold pressure at 38-39. The only case I go up to 40 is fully loaded with backages full at summer vacation. Bubbles on front tyre is an issue I never had 10 years with this bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An inspection of my front end last evening I discovered the ball joint rubber hood has a tear And is leaking. Think this is my problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did this prior installing the Garmin's pressure sensors as shown on the photo. You must purchase the ones we use on the cars though. Do not go for the typical ones other bikes use. Will not fit.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts