BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

what is your rear shock Pre load for those with Head Shake?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into Beaudrys BMW yesterday for another set of eyes on my 05 front end shake. No better or worse than alot of you have on your LT's.

When I replaced my BStones with fresh 880's problem went away until I reached the zenith of 5,000 miles and it came creaping back. Now with
6k on the 880's and with tire presure kept at 42/48 the tires still look new with no cupping..

They check everything, ball joints, steering, forks, etc...
(PS- bike has never been dropped either)

New idea: Back off on the *Shock Preload* as that pre weights the front end. The less weight on the front wheel the better -

I ride alone and aggressively so I normally have the rear stock shock loaded @ 75% or 3/4 down even after I have refilled the shock body with oil.

Now I have backed off the preload to 50% of max and might go even softer to see if there is any difference.

WHAT is your shock preload for those with head shake problems?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Thus far there seems to be little to no correlation from the BMW shop suggestion to back off Pre-load.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
No head shake here
after the rear bearing was replaced

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Your tires ARE cupping, it doesn't take much... just a few millimeters of wear are amplified dramatically by the very tight tolerances our scoots are built to. At 5K your Metz are about halfway to history.

No way around it, (and that was not a pun) unless you move to England for 6 months of the year. Left turns, and the extra amount of time you spend in the radius (along with other factors) are the real culprit.

Not intended as a flame - just a simple logical explanation. It happens to ALL motorcycles.

When you are listening for hoof beats, don't go looking for Zebras. ;)

Hey, at least I VOTED! :D

PS - if any of your aggresive riding includes diving into turns while braking you are making a major contribution to premature cupping, scrubbing, sidewall wear, etc. Even the best riders do it frequently when they get a little "ahead" of themselves - very easy to do on a light truck like ours. I do it frequently even though I know better. :eek:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may just be right Ron....

The last time I had this problem the NEW Tires made the problem go away for 4-5000 miles - *So even alittle tire wear accentuates this problem...

·
Registered
507 Posts
usmctpdog said:
New idea: Back off on the *Shock Preload* as that pre weights the front end. The less weight on the front wheel the better -

I ride alone and aggressively so I normally have the rear stock shock loaded @ 75% or 3/4 down even after I have refilled the shock body with oil.

Now I have backed off the preload to 50% of max and might go even softer to see if there is any difference.

WHAT is your shock preload for those with head shake problems?
My preload is set at one line above the "STD" mark (with the red dots). I noticed that when I was riding two up with my wife on the back seat the 40 mph headshake was less severe. If shifting weight toward the rear wheel is the same as backing off the rear suspension preload, your theory has merit. My wife only weighs about 110 lbs. i scraped the center stand on a non-aggressive right turn though so I don't think I can lower my preload anymore with her on the bike.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim,

as more votes come in maybe this will make more sense - I will keep backing off the Preload until I get a reason not to..

It has made the ride smoother and more comfy with my LOW and THINLY padded Corbin seat...:)

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Hey, Top..
I'm running a Dunlop on the bow wheel and at over 6K there is very LITTLE irregular wear compared to the 'Stones I was running which were good for about 4k before causing the heavy "oscillation".

I do think your idea has merit... balance on these machines is important. When guys my size... a tiny 6'2" and 280# saddle up, we affect the "weights and balance" .. hehe.. add to that, heavy braking capability of the '05 and we have a heavy wear pattern on the front tire.

Then there is the "heavy input" on the bars I found I was using. I realized I was pressing more on the throttle side which may have caused faster wearing of the tires... I've learned to minimize this ...but not totally eliminate..

Anyway... I hope more folks participate to see if there is a discernible pattern.

Peace.. Semper Fidelis!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts