BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 90,000 miles on this bike (2002 lt). The front disk rattles a lot. I have added several wave washers but it's really loose. I think the main problem is that the metal is worn both on the roll pin and the disk. Which makes it impossible for the roll pin and wave washers to hold the disk stable. But I could sure use some advice. Am I on the right track and is there a fix other than replacing all the roll pins and the disk?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Did you mean the REAR disk...cause if it is the front it is a big problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the front --- so I need a new rim?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
That is an unusual wear pattern that I have not seen here. The rotor should float but not rattle. Maybe a picture of the pin area could help. I take it when you say roll pin you mean item #4?

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think that is exactly what he means John, # 4

I had identical issue on my 2003, in taking it apart to examine, the pins were worn and the slot on disc also worn just a bit.
I needed a new tire and when the mechanic noticed he said that he can fix or I need new parts. I believe he tightenned everything down snug. Now there is no play on the right side disc and he demostrated how there is an ever slight rubbing on the brake shoe to one side now, but barely noticeable.
I have been riding it as is with no appearent negative reaction--though I suspect the brake shoe will wear out prematurely. I checked if the disc were to get hot from friction but it doesn't.
Am I in trouble?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
Well in a caliper type brake system one item must "float". In most automobiles this is the caliper and the rotor is fixed. On the LT the caliper is fixed and the rotor floats. If you have the rotor locked down you will see more rapid wear of the pads and may even experience reduced braking force since the rotor is not free to float into optimal position.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over time I have notice the rotor become looser and looser. I have compensated by adding extra wave washers. But it's worn too much now. The rotor is moving around so much it is reshaping the roll pins (#4) and also the hole in the rotor. I don't have it apart right now to take a picture but I don't remember the rim having any problems.

I just looked again and it's the rotor and roll pins, not the rim that is the problem. Having come from the aircraft world, it looks to me like we should write a bulletin that tells people to replace the roll pins every 50,000 miles to avoid this.

I guess I will replace the roll pins and hope it's enough without having to replace the rotor too.

Any better ideas??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what's the problem?

I will admit that my left side is just fine and it has the same mileage. The only difference I can think of is that the right rotor is the one I always take off when I change a tire.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
full floating disks allow for expansion/contraction with heat/cold and that prevents warping with lighter thinner rotors, before full full floating rotors were a lot thicker

the opposing pistons in the caliper will adjust for where the rotor is

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
mlempenau said:
So what's the problem?

I will admit that my left side is just fine and it has the same mileage. The only difference I can think of is that the right rotor is the one I always take off when I change a tire.

Maybe related to the removal and re-installation but I don't have an idea of the driver for that. Mine are tight as a drum at 78K but I never remove them. Might try finding a way to protect them when changing a tire so you don't have to pull it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's the trick to changing a tire without taking the rotor off? Do the latest machines have the ability to do this?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
I use this old modified Harbor Freight unit and the rotor does not come close to anything. What are you using?

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Could it be that the front left side rotor has a sensor ring attached to it--thus it is fixed and does not float?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
Nope the "roll pins" allow the rotor to float while holding the sensor ring in place.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here in Thailand I just take it to a tire place and they use a machine. In the US I had an old machine I bought and used. It required me to take off the rotor so I guess I got in the habit. Do the new machines need the rotor taken off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 90,000 miles on this bike (2002 lt). The front disk rattles a lot. I have added several wave washers but it's really loose. I think the main problem is that the metal is worn both on the roll pin and the disk. Which makes it impossible for the roll pin and wave washers to hold the disk stable. But I could sure use some advice. Am I on the right track and is there a fix other than replacing all the roll pins and the disk?
I bought a used 2007 after owning two 2002 KLT's and this front right rotor has more play than any of my others. Needless to say, it makes a "ticking" noise as I drive. I didn't have the problem until after I had the front tire replaced for the first time since I owned it. My dealer told me it was "normal" but after owning three LT's, I'm not convinced. Did replacing the roller pins illuminate the problem or did you come up with an easier fix?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts