BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the way from work, I had trouble "pushing" the bike from it's parking spot (I seldom use reverse).

I noticed that when I came to a rolling stop without using the brakes, that the bike felt like the brakes were on, yet I was not on the brakes. I did have good front and rear brakes on the way home.

I had to hustle home for child care reasons so could not stop to "check it out"

When I pulled into the garage, I put her on the center stand and the rear wheel moves freely, but the front wheel was "locked up". I could barely rotate the front wheels.

I will not be able to look at the bike for a few hours. (again child care til the wife gets home)

I was hoping to get some quick pointer before I head out to the garage after dark to see what is going on. It would seem that the front brakes are not moving back.

Any tips?

Thanks on advance for the help.

Paul

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If the calipers wern't smokin when you stopped then its probably wheel brgs siezed,, use a flat blade scew driver and coax the pads off the rotors, this does two things tests the caliper pistons and allows the wheel to free spin and both will give you the answer, thats the only way to work it out.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further news.

While the kids were snacking on dinner, I ran outside and looked at the front again.

I climbed under the bike and pried the brakes pads away from the two rotors and the wheels rolled again.

I started the engine and pulled on the brakes, they were of course spongy, but after a few pulls they eventually were solid. I got off the bike and tried to roll the front wheel and the front wheel was locked again.,

any assistance would be helpful. I have to go to Miami Wednesday afternoon.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Paul, just a thought - any work been done on the brake system lately? I'm wondering if there might be an air bubble or two in the line - and wondering if the fluid level in the right handlebar reservoir is where it should be? I imagine a brake guru will be along shortly to help you out!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dick said:
Paul, just a thought - any work been done on the brake system lately? I'm wondering if there might be an air bubble or two in the line - and wondering if the fluid level in the right handlebar reservoir is where it should be? I imagine a brake guru will be along shortly to help you out!! Good luck.
Thanks for the help.

The only thing that was done recently was a new front tire 1000 miles ago at the Daytona dealership.

I am pretty sure that she rolled out of the garage this AM without any troubles.

The brake fluid appears to be fine in the check window.

It is possible that the brake pads are a little short on remaining life, but I do not sww how this could be causing me any troubles.

THANKS

Paul

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Axle said:
If the calipers wern't smokin when you stopped then its probably wheel brgs siezed,, use a flat blade scew driver and coax the pads off the rotors, this does two things tests the caliper pistons and allows the wheel to free spin and both will give you the answer, thats the only way to work it out.
Linton,

What is a wheel "brgs" ?

I did the above like you mentioned and got free spin from wheels, but when I put the engine back on and applied front brakes the front wheel is locked again.

thanks in advance for the advice and help.

Paul

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Paul,
He was thinking wheel bearings. Since backing the pads out allowed the wheel to spin, it shouldn't be that. When was the last time the fluid was flushed in the brake lines? Older fluid could contain enough moisture to cause expansion when the use of the brakes heated the fluid. But that wouldn't be the case if you were parked and just applying brakes. I don't know. I may be on to something, or not.

Our 2000 models don't have power assist, so the pump can't be running to make the wheel lock. Any dash light indicators regarding the brakes? Depending upon time since last brake flush, I'd start there.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lee510 said:
Paul,
He was thinking wheel bearings. Since backing the pads out allowed the wheel to spin, it shouldn't be that. When was the last time the fluid was flushed in the brake lines? Older fluid could contain enough moisture to cause expansion when the use of the brakes heated the fluid. But that wouldn't be the case if you were parked and just applying brakes. I don't know. I may be on to something, or not.

Our 2000 models don't have power assist, so the pump can't be running to make the wheel lock. Any dash light indicators regarding the brakes? Depending upon time since last brake flush, I'd start there.
I just backed out the pads once again and learned that the inside piston is harder to "back out" versus the outside piston. This is the same on both sides of the front brakes.

This time I turned on the engine and reseated the brake pads and the front wheel has sone movement.

I am still on daddy duty till my wife gets home so I cannot go out for a test spin.

any further suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS

Paul

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Sounds like you have dirt / road grim in the caliper pistons causing them to stick. You will need to remove calipers , then split them into to remove the pistons for a good cleaning.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
Before you go extreem as Steve suggests, you may want to try some Brake Kleen spray on the pistons before you push them back again. Brakes on this model can be applied with the key off. Could also have a brake line that is deteriorated inside causing a block on release of brake application. Try the cleaner first.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
it is possible that your calipers were hung by the hoses during the front wheel replace.. If that was done, it is possible you have an internal break in the hose.... that can hold the pressure on the piston without showing a leak through the covering.

So, do this... if tire won't turn, loosen the brake bleeder... catch any fluid with a rag. If the tire spins, then you may have problem with the hoses.

If you cannot get the brakes to work properly, do NOT ride your bike.... until it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cfell said:
it is possible that your calipers were hung by the hoses during the front wheel replace.. If that was done, it is possible you have an internal break in the hose.... that can hold the pressure on the piston without showing a leak through the covering.

So, do this... if tire won't turn, loosen the brake bleeder... catch any fluid with a rag. If the tire spins, then you may have problem with the hoses.

If you cannot get the brakes to work properly, do NOT ride your bike.... until it's fixed.
cfell,

I cleaned the pistons and both front brakes to death tonight.

Went for a ride and the "seizing" was a lot less.

I cleaned them again and I would like to believe that I even made more progress.

I will try your suggestion in the morning. It is too late for this kind of operation.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If on original pads and you have 50K + on them or the pads are about worn out the caliper piston may be sticking because they are near the end of the piston seals flex range and pistons are now working in part of the bore they never have and are getting hung on some bore corrosion.
*If pads are thin on lining left, throw in a fresh set of stock pads or EBC HH's ... doing so will get caliper piston back in to where the bore is smooth and worn friction free.

Scott

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
motorhead said:
If on original pads and you have 50K + on them or the pads are about worn out the caliper piston may be sticking because they are near the end of the piston seals flex range and pistons are now working in part of the bore they never have and are getting hung on some bore corrosion.
*If pads are thin on lining left, throw in a fresh set of stock pads or EBC HH's ... doing so will get caliper piston back in to where the bore is smooth and worn friction free.

Scott
Thanks, I ordered a new set of EBC HH pads last night. Since I am not the 1st owner, I do not know if the pads are original.

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted to follow up on this for fellow board members.

After I put the new front brakes pads on and bed them in real good the problem seems to have gone away.

I did use the brake cleaner fluid on the front calipers before putting in new pads but they did seem to NOT be bouncing back as expected till I put the new pads in.

so it seems a combination of new pads and cleaned calipers did the trick.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

After I put the new front brakes pads on and bed them in real good the problem seems to have gone away.

I did use the brake cleaner fluid on the front calipers before putting in new pads but they did seem to NOT be bouncing back as expected till I put the new pads in.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Very good ... Now just ride it !!

pauleknight said:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
motorhead said:
Very good ... Now just ride it !!

Is this enough miles?

I put 4K miles on her in two months.

The previous owner who had her for 18 months only put 500 miles on her.

I just did my second oil change on her since I did the first on back in the second week in June when I rescued her from the PO.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
pauleknight said:
Is this enough miles?

I put 4K miles on her in two months.

The previous owner who had her for 18 months only put 500 miles on her.

I just did my second oil change on her since I did the first on back in the second week in June when I rescued her from the PO.
It's a start :p .... leaving in 2 weeks on our semi annual butt burner vacation.
Will be doing @ 3500/4000 miles over 2 weeks :wave

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
motorhead said:
It's a start :p .... leaving in 2 weeks on our semi annual butt burner vacation.
Will be doing @ 3500/4000 miles over 2 weeks :wave

As the kids say, I ain't mad, just jealous.

Have fun

1 - 20 of 20 Posts