BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of parts here.
(ref. 2002 K1200 LT, Integral ABS, 75k miles - only the last 5k is ours)

1. Anyone know what the spec for the rotor thickness is on the front end of an LT?
2. Any ideas why the rotors would wear out in only 75k? We're told that people have well over 100k with no such issues. (BTW, the person who told us that ours were at the minimum could also be wrong rendering this whole thread largely irrelevant)
3. We've heard people discuss the front rotor float... Is this something that you can feel if you grab the rotors by hand and try and move them? Ours don't seem to budge.
4. Anyone have any experience with ABM Rotors and Carbone Lorraine Pads? (Beemerboneyard)
5. Is there a rotor by EBC and which pads would work? We hear talk of EBC all the time but haven't heard any specifics.

Thanks,
David (Travis) and Sydney

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Sounds as if previous owner dragged the fronts a lot !!
Can't say I have ever read much if anything on front rotors wearing out ... odd.

Quite honestly, if brakes are not surging when applied, would not sweat it ... ride on.
EBC HH pads tho are the best choice in the rear, use OEM's up front tho.
Why you ask ? .... EBC fronts don't have the anti-rattle clips and are click/clacky because of this.

Just one LT owners opinion ...

Scott

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Front rotor thickness is normal 5.0mm or 0.1968". Minimum is 4.5mm or 0.1772". I have 50K on mine but have not measuered them. I have replaced the rear rotor as it was at it's limit and I had a free replacement (came with a spare FD). I won't be able to measure mine until next month as I am on travel (not on the bike :( ).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts