BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front brake rotor bolts look kind of crummy. They were removed at one point and now have some rust forming inside the hex area. Are there any after-market chrome bolts that will fit? The originals are part #34112332329 size M8X25-10.9 ZNS.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I would not change these for chromed ones, even if you could find some. Chrome plated high strength fasteners can suffer from "Hydrogen Embrittlement", and break easily. Hydrogen embrittlement is pretty common if high strength steels are electroplated without the very stringent process controls necessary to prevent it. Chrome platers interested in chroming for looks are not likely to even know about it.

Under NO circumstances should you change them out for Stainless Steel! Stainless would have about 50% of the strength of the stock bolts. Brakes are critical, so maybe just clean and paint with a good aluminum paint?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Lindy said she could smell the testosterone clear across the room !!!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
That would certainly work, just have to find a source for the correct size. At around $8 each looks like a set will cost about as much as the rotors though. [frown]

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
dshealey said:
At around $8 each looks like a set will cost about as much as the rotors though.
Yea...but, with the reduction of weight...the increased gas mileage will payoff BIG in no time at all! :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The Racebolts company has them, BH8025, $8.62 each. I would live with the rust myself. :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all.

David, I see them on the site, BH0285. Might just save my money for something more meaningful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts