BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question on the front brake resevoir, 2000LT.

I notice the fluid is a little below the center dot, approaching the bottom of the ring. Should I add some DOT 4 to bring it up to the center?

I found one post that said something about the resevoir is not directly connected to the front brake and suggested that we shouldn't add to the handlebar res.

Was I seeing things or ????

Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
Check the res. under the seat.
It may be low.
If it is the bar level will return to normal.

Chances are it is close to being time to change the pads.
The LT has brake fluid circuits for the ABS.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
there isn't a seperate reservoir on the '00LT.
When the fluid get low in the handlebar reservoir it usually means the pads are getting thin.

Check your pads and fill as needed.

dan

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
azredline said:
I found one post that said something about the resevoir is not directly connected to the front brake and suggested that we shouldn't add to the handlebar res.

Was I seeing things or ????

Thanks
No you read it right but that only applies to the 01 and up with the integral brakes. The fluid in your front will lower as the pads wear. If you do add, just remember to remove some fluid before pushing the pistons back to the pads or it will over flow.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
John is right on the money here as usual.

I have an '00 LT and I have never added fluid to the front reservoir except for when I do the flush. Being just a little down is fine, as your front pads wear down. If you don't add any fluid, then when you install new pads the fluid will be back up where it belongs. However if you do add fluid in the interim, and then replace the pads, you will probably overflow the reservoir just like John says.

If you don't see any pad wear on the front, and you are low on fluid, then you may want to see where it is going, and add some if needed,

John
jzeiler said:
No you read it right but that only applies to the 01 and up with the integral brakes. The fluid in your front will lower as the pads wear. If you do add, just remember to remove some fluid before pushing the pistons back to the pads or it will over flow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input!

My pads are a little past half worn I'd guess, so I'll replace them after my next significant ride.

Kudos to the forum for all the available info. Today I saved lots of time after my morning outing by checking other posts for the rear brake fluid level in the resevoir. I couldn't easily see how to get at the cap for the rear res. A bit of searching found a great post from DABubba from 2004 that said to pull the rear pass seat to get at it. Two bolts and two min later I was there!

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts