BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the front tire and figured I'd see about putting new pads on the front while I had the wheel off. From my searches, it looks like most of you recommended going with the OEM front pads. Checked with my dealer and they want $192.00 + tax for the 4 pads for a 2003 LT. Looked at the EBC HH pads and can get those for $75. Quite a difference.

From what I understand the EBC pads rattle cause they don't have the plates that come with the OEM pads. Can the plates from the OEM pads I now have be transfered to the EBC pads? Any other recommendations?
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,168 Posts
That rattle was for the early brakes on 99-00. The integral calipers have a rattle spring as part of the caliper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
jzeiler said:
That rattle was for the early brakes on 99-00. The integral calipers have a rattle spring as part of the caliper.
So you are saying that I can just buy the EBC HH pads for $75 and be ever happy?
(well, at least about the pads :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
strsout said:
So you are saying that I can just buy the EBC HH pads for $75 and be ever happy?
(well, at least about the pads :) )
I have the HH pads on the front (stock pads on the rear). The only noise I hear is coming from the rear pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,

Guess I will go with the EBC's. Didn't realize the rattling was year dependent. Actually found a place that has them for $59 including shipping to me. Haven't delt with them before, but I think they look safe. www.powersportsuperstore.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
I am on my second set of front EBC's no rattle, no squak, a little more dust than the OEM pads but I like the way the brakes feel much better.

In the rear I have an EBC rotor and pads, no "cowbell" sounds, no rattles, no squeaks, and much better brake response.

I got real good prices and service from cyclebrakes. com
It's a 99 model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
sprdoorman said:
Thanks Guys,

Guess I will go with the EBC's. Didn't realize the rattling was year dependent. Actually found a place that has them for $59 including shipping to me. Haven't delt with them before, but I think they look safe. www.powersportsuperstore.com
another option is Ferodo's. I've used them for years, absolutely great in the rain. IMHO better than EBC.

Zeke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
You can change the brake pads without removing the wheel, so if they are in good shape, may as well keep them and get the full life. You can pull them to check the pad thickness without removing the caliper.

I recenly bought EBCs (FA294HH for the front, FA 304HH for the rear) from MotorcycleProShop.com for $30 a pair.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Not so on the early models (99-00, & some 01's). You must remove the calipers to change the pads on those models. The later models provide for removing the pads from the rear of the calipers.

John
space_coast_lt said:
You can change the brake pads without removing the wheel, so if they are in good shape, may as well keep them and get the full life. You can pull them to check the pad thickness without removing the caliper.

I recenly bought EBCs (FA294HH for the front, FA 304HH for the rear) from MotorcycleProShop.com for $30 a pair.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Not so on the early models (99-00, & some 01's). You must remove the calipers to change the pads on those models. The later models provide for removing the pads from the rear of the calipers.

John
John, I did not know that. Thanks for the information. Still, there is no need to remove the wheel is there? I just wouldn't toss serviceable pads just because I had the wheel off. But then again, it aint nuthin to me!
Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
space_coast_lt said:
John, I did not know that. Thanks for the information. Still, there is no need to remove the wheel is there? I just wouldn't toss serviceable pads just because I had the wheel off. But then again, it aint nuthin to me!
Jeff
On the '99, '00, and some'01s you HAVE to pull the wheel to get to the inside pad on the caliper. DAMHIK.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Steve_R said:
On the '99, '00, and some'01s you HAVE to pull the wheel to get to the inside pad on the caliper. DAMHIK.
Just to be a pain.... Why would you remove the wheel? Would the removal of the four caliper bolts be too hard?
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,168 Posts
I think he just miss typed since you have to pull the calipers to get the wheel off no matter what year you have. Steve and I have these senior moments from time to time:p .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Agreed there John. Steve has the same type of senior moments that we all have I'm sure. The wheel can remain on for the pad change on the early Bikes, but those calipers must come off.

John
jzeiler said:
I think he just miss typed since you have to pull the calipers to get the wheel off no matter what year you have. Steve and I have these senior moments from time to time:p .
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,168 Posts
You ready to wrench away at CCR? I am really looking forward to this year. See ya there in a few more days!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Yeah, hope the back is better by then though! I almost was going to have to miss CCR entirely due to some required training that popped up for the month of August, but managed to get it re-scheduled for September 14th!

So this means Marilyn and I are headed for Minnesota right after CCR, then she flys home to Oregon, while I hop on the LT and head for Fort Worth for 3 weeks of training!

Now back to the front brake pads! Sorry for the Hi-jack gang.

John
jzeiler said:
You ready to wrench away at CCR? I am really looking forward to this year. See ya there in a few more days!!!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top