BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the front pads for the first time this weekend (usually dealer serviced) and did it the same way as the back - compress the pads so the plugers (pistons?) are flush to make room for the new pads.

I noticed that the brake fluid overflow tube spit up about a tablespoon or two of fluid when I did this. I had the front brake reservior (at the handlebar) cover removed when I did the compression. I would assume that the fluid would have been forced into THAT reservior, and not out the rear overflow.

Any ideas? Should I be concerened about anything?

·
Registered
794 Posts
IT is two separate circuits.
BMW brakes are not like other bikes.

The fluid at the bar never gets to the pad only to the control unit under the seat.
The ABS translates the amount of preasure applied to the lever to the calipers.
There is a very good tech note explaining this somewhere.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,927 Posts
Gino said:
Any ideas? Should I be concerened about anything?
Just wipe up the mess and move on.

As Mike said the rear reservoir is two chambered and one chamber does double duty as it feeds both the rear control circuit and the rear wheel circuit. The other reservoir feeds the front wheel circuit where the handle bar reservoir feeds the front control circuit. They all meet at the ABS unit but do not mingle.

The best way to avoid this over flow is to make sure the caliper pistons are fully retracted when topping off the reservoirs after a flush. That way when your ABS lights start flashing you know your pads are close to needing replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts