BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K1200LT, 2000 - Front brake hose (from master cylinder to lower connection) began leaking. I ordered a Spiegle brake hose kit, removed all tupperware and gas tank and will be replacing front brake hoses (rear later), air and gas filters, spark plugs and flushing and renewing antifreeze while the Tupperware is off Are there other maintenance items I should do at this time?

My question: Is there a special tool needed to remove the banjo bolt on caliper/cylinder (do you remove the rubber covering over the bolt??} and is there an easy way to remove the banjo bolt at the master cylinder or do I have to remove the throttle tube? Any advise will be appreciated!

Have been driving BMW's since the early 60's - great motorcycle!

Henry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Henry, I just installed Spiegler brake lines a few months ago on my 2000 LT. Trust me. If I could do it, so can you. I did front and back lines in about a day. My biggest concern was introducing air into the system but it was never an issue. I can't say the brakes feel dramatically better as some claim. All I know is there's one led thing now to deal with as the Spieglers have a lifetime warranty.

There is a step by step guide available as a pdf somewhere on the web. I can't seen to find the link. If you can't find it, pm me and I'll send it on to you.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
No special tool needed for banjo bolts. Make sure you use new washers.

On my 00 it came with silly "grub" screws for injecting fluid, draining fluid and air from the calipers. each one had a rubber boot on it. I ordered "speed bleeders", two for the front and a different size one for the rear. to remove the "grub" screws I used large vice-grips that were able to bite into the grub and had enough leverage to break it free of the "lock-tite".

When I replaced my rear line I accidentally dropped a banjo bolt inside my bike--never found it! since my LT is my only transportation I ordered one and had it nailed to me via priority mail. I'm retired so didn't have to worry about showing up for work. I've also dropped fasteners, those c-clips fasteners screw into and washers that are never to be found again. SO, I have extras on hand, especially the c-clips which get loose.

while you are at it check the brakes pads and on the rear "swing-arm" replace the band holding the speedo to it--it commonly bites into the speedo line and causes the speedo needle to bounce.

Course, make sure you use the specified brake/clutch fluid. When you squeeze the lever for either the brake or clutch a little geyser spurts from the reservoir. People cover the reservoir with a hand, some report placing a quarter in the fluid to cover the little hole. But, make sure you have a clean rag to immediatly wash away, wipe up any splilled brake fluid that eats paint FAST!!!!

and you will discover that on the right hand side brake lever side there is a jack on the end of two wires that was not plugged into anything. Its for an extra cigarette lighter type jack that could be installed.

Best from t'son
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts