BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering changing out the front brake flexi hoses on my bike, i have had a couple of occassions of the front brake binding, & i suspect a flexi hose has broken down internally creating a restricted return of fluid.
Can anyone in the UK recommend a replacement, braided would be good.
I have looked at the callipers & checked that the pistons are returning etc.
I acn always get the BM ones, but am not overly convinced of the quality, 2003 & 34000 miles, i feel this should not be happening!!, so would prefer an alternative, once replaced i will post my findings.
Regards
Stevie

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
katnapinn said:
Stevie I'm not sure if these guys ship to UK but they are the supplier thet we use here in the states.
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm
+1 on the Spieglers. Not only the last lines you'll ever need, but will greatly improve the braking capabilities of the beast.

Not the only braided stainless steel ones out there; many have used others, with similar praise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought i would post an update.
After thinking a bit more about the flexi hoses, i realised that an internal breakdown of the flexi hose, would create a regular & not intermittent fault.
I removed both front callippers to get a really good look, all pistons seemed ok, i did notice some uneven pad wear, these were EBC replacements, plenty of wear left, i noticed 2 of them were firm in the callipper & had to be pulled out, closer investigation showed the wear surface bonded to the metal pad, to be slightly over at one end, i filed them back to the metal pad, when replaced they were a loose fit.
I have ridden the hell out of the brakes, repeatedly simulating the conditions when they got very hot & bound up, & have not been able to get them to bind, i feel that my binding problems were most likely caused by the binding brake pads, these were not returning & allowing heat to build up then binding against the disc..
Feel free to offer differing opinions??
Regards
Stevie

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Sounds as if you are on the right track.

When my front line sprang a leak, the braking was still fine, except that the pressure went gradually down.

One person reported removing his flex lines, bringing them to a brake place and having lines made at less than half of what it costs to order them on line.

Best from Tucson
Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts