BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice. I road my beloved CLC for about three years. Only dropped her once in a grassy parking lot. First day I owned it too. I sold it about four months ago and am now buying a 1200LT. The CLC was also top heavy and I got so use to it. I could turn slowly on a dime with ease.
I have a choice of driving the 1200LT off the dealers lot or trailering it. As soon as I leave dealers lot it will put me in heavy traffic before interstate and a ride of 80 miles to my mountain home. Im 6' tall if that matters.
Since I was used to the big CLC should I have problems? Does anyone know if they handle close to the same? I understand the the CLC was a front breaking bike where as the 1200LT is a rear breaking bike? Any advice might determine the method of getting home.
Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site :) My opinion is: if you are questioning your self, I would trailer it home and practice at home with no traffic. I am sure that you are not going to have any problem but better safe than sorry. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Congradulations on your new ride. I too owned a 2004 CLC and went to a 2005LT. Here is my 2c. Ride the bike home. When coming to a stop keep the front wheel straight and keep your head up and look ahead not DOWN. The brakes are linked so as you stop use more rear brake and very lightly on the front. The LT can be a handfull in very slow manuevers(top heavy). RPMs UP ease the clutch and feather the rear brake. There is a lot of info on this great site. Enjoy your ride home.

·
Registered
263 Posts
hifiman said:
Need some advice. I road my beloved CLC for about three years. Only dropped her once in a grassy parking lot. First day I owned it too. I sold it about four months ago and am now buying a 1200LT. The CLC was also top heavy and I got so use to it. I could turn slowly on a dime with ease.
I have a choice of driving the 1200LT off the dealers lot or trailering it. As soon as I leave dealers lot it will put me in heavy traffic before interstate and a ride of 80 miles to my mountain home. Im 6' tall if that matters.
Since I was used to the big CLC should I have problems? Does anyone know if they handle close to the same? I understand the the CLC was a front breaking bike where as the 1200LT is a rear breaking bike? Any advice might determine the method of getting home.
Thanks
You'll be fine.

I got my LT after trading in a Harley Ultra Classic - which has a very low COG.

Was the LT a little unwieldy for a while? Sure. But pay attention - especially on stops (wheels straight - eyes forward to the horizon), and you'll do great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Traded in my r1200c in for the 05 LT. Rode it home 2 up after only a couple of test runs 1 up. Bike handles like a dream even in heavy traffic, take extra care at the lights. Head up, wheel straight. Enjoy!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I feeling more confident now. I just got through reading the forum on "Have you ever dropped your bike" and was a little nervous when I posted this thread. The CLC is a big bike also and just a hundred pounds lighter, so I should be fine. If not I will pick it up and ride on!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Dittos with the other CLC owners. You'll love the LT. Ride it home and just keep going.
I thought I loved the '04CLC but learned it was lust. The LT is like the Cadie commercial, "when I turn it on it returns the favor".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts