BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a HD Ultra Classic, and have been looking at the K1200LT.

Has annyone else made the move from a Harley to BMW, and if so, what was your experience like? Was their any type of learning curve, handling, braking, etc.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I am in my 2nd year of banishment from 38 years HD products...

It has been a great experience, learning the LT. It beats the HD in all areas of performance.. Better fuel economy, reliability, ABS braking... Phenominal!

·
Registered
260 Posts
HD to K1200LT

I just purchased a 2006LT. I have a HD 2004 Roadking Classic with 23000 miles. Purchased new Nov. 2003. Wife and I and five other couples took a 3500 mile trip to Smokies. I rode deals Gap twice on the HD. I thought if I kept pushing it I would crash bad. Poor braking most problems. Love to ride it but, compared to the BMW is like riding a sport bike. Quick good handling etc. I haved had many bikes but the BMW is by far the best I have ever owned. Tim Baton Rouge, LA

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
stefeb said:

Has annyone else made the move from a Harley to BMW, and if so, what was your experience like? Was their any type of learning curve, handling, braking, etc.

Thanks.

yup 18 yrs old till oh heck 2002 i rode HD glides of one form or the other

learning curve? yes, DO not grab the front brake on the lt till ya get used to it! keep the handle bars straight when stopping (front tire straight) it will make it easier NOT to drop it till ya get used to tthe higher COG

Watch your speedo, when i bought my LT a friend asked me what i thought of it over the Harley

I think I told him something like 25 MPh difference

Jinks can correct me if I am wrong <g> He bought a LT not long after........ <grin>

Tom

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
went from 2005 Electra Glide Classic to the LT, have been riding HD's since 1981....I really didnt know what I was missing. Dump that old barge and get on with the best bike youll ever experience.
Any questions??? feel free to PM me.

F

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yup * What they all said already. 30+ years of HD & Goldwing riding daily, 500,000+ miles and now on a BMW 05 LT to stay!

* Give up the " Lifestyle " Do rags & Fax Paux Attitude and pick up "It's about the Ride" :^)

·
Registered
67 Posts
H.D. switch to LT

I had a 2000 Electra Glide Standard, a 2002 Road King, a 2005 Ultra, and a 2005 Lt.
By comparison the Lt. was the best.
But like alot of other H/D riders I missed the H/D image and sold the Lt and bought a 06 Ultra.
Just sold the Ultra and back on an 2006 LT

Im a slow learner, but I found my ride, it's the LT

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Switched from HD to LT

stefeb said:

Thanks.
Yep, I suggest you get rid of your HOG and ride a Motorcycle.

Ditto on using only the foot brake(rear) when you come to a stop. The LT wants to tip since the brakes are the greatest. My firsat stop about put me on the handlebars. No body gave me any warning. Had to learn the hard way.

Bottom line.......it's a GREAT motorcycle.

You'll soon learn why it's called the Flying Brick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bmw:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hd

Last thursday I took a 200 mile, $158 Demo ride on a 2005 Classic. I wanted to give the Harley a full, fair, test so no 10 mile freeby for me. The seat and sidestand were nice. The rest of it just doesn't measure up against an LT.

·
Registered
268 Posts
stefeb said:

Thanks.
Three weeks ago I traded my Ultra for an LT and have 1,400 miles on the LT. I love the LT in all areas except for comfort. Frankly, the highway peg option known as J-Pegs suck and there just don't seem to be many alternatives. I miss my drivers floorboards though I understand why they aren't there. Once I figure out how to stretch out on the LT I will have really nothing to miss from my HD days.

BTW, the center of gravity on the LT is higher so handling is tricky at low speeds but you'll get used to it. The brakes are light years better than HDs. True story - on Saturday I took a ride up to DePere, Wisconsin to visit the local BMW dealer. On the way up I got in behind an SUV which was travelling about 80. I was not tailgating (thank god) when the moron zooms up to a car travelling at a lower rate of speed and hits his brakes HARD!!! I had to hit my brakes HARD in response. The ABS kicked in and smoothly slowed the bike down so that I didn't mate with the SUV. I must tell you that on the HD my back end would have been all over the place and the end result could have been ugly. I'm sold on the LT's brakes and that alone is worth the purchase.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The LT's foot pegs, being down, instead of forward, make it very easy to stand up on.

I frequently stand for a bit to stretch my legs.
I don't have jpegs, but rest my calves on the wings from time to time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I rode a HD!

Once.

No need to try again.

I have also ridden a LT. I can't get enough!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
HD Ultra BMW K1200LT

I have the HD Electraglide Classic and the K1200LT. Different Bikes, ride them both. Hypothetically, If I could only choose to keep one of these two, it would be the K1200LT. But I always have had a Harley or two around, and will continue to do so.

Mirage

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
stefeb said:

Thanks.
Figure out what time you have to be home divide that by 2 and turn around when you get to that point. This sled eats multiple states for breakfast.
Have had 14 big HD's a bunch of little ones. Rode ex old lady's airhead while rebuilding my Pan and never looked back.
Have bought 6 or 7 bikes (CRS alert) since 2000, all BMW's except one, and I only bought it because it was an old Pittsburgh Police Special, AKA 75 Shovelhead.
Rock

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
JCabranes said:
Three weeks ago I traded my Ultra for an LT and have 1,400 miles on the LT. I love the LT in all areas except for comfort. Frankly, the highway peg option known as J-Pegs suck and there just don't seem to be many alternatives. I miss my drivers floorboards though I understand why they aren't there. Once I figure out how to stretch out on the LT I will have really nothing to miss from my HD days.
I know the exact set up your talking about. My Pan has the mini floorboards on the crash bars, so you have that infintly variable foot position.
Try the Mick-o-Pegs they beat the Gyno chair torture divise hands down in my NSHO. They seem a little weird/iffy at first, but I think the boy has a winner.
Rock

·
Registered
268 Posts
UncleRock said:
I know the exact set up your talking about. My Pan has the mini floorboards on the crash bars, so you have that infintly variable foot position.
Try the Mick-o-Pegs they beat the Gyno chair torture divise hands down in my NSHO. They seem a little weird/iffy at first, but I think the boy has a winner.
Rock
Thanks for the advice... I saw a website on those pegs and I'm thinking they're the answer. Frankly, if they turn out not to be the answer I'm going to try to build a set. I'll let you know how that turns out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for responding. It's encouraging to hear your positive experiences.

I must admit, the HD image/culture is not a small thing to overcome, but I'm getting to the point in my life, that the ride is more important than the image/culture mystique.

The two concerns I have is my height and leg stretch. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam, and on the demo model the soles of my feet do come in contact with the ground, though not as solidly as when on my Ultra. The other, the "highway peg" issue has been resolved in one of the other posts.

The higher COG may take a bit to get used to. Thanks for the tip about the front brakes when stopping. I've always applied both front and back brake whenever braking was called for.

I'm taking a test ride on Wed., and will report back.

Thanks again. Your responses are greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would like to add that the hardest thing for me to get used to was to keep the RPMs up. The LT likes to be between 4K and 6K.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts