BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 250 mile jaunt on my new K1300GT. Bob Rasters came along on his GSA to try and take the flat spots out of his tires. :D Mostly backroads with some freeway to connect the fun bits. It was a beautiful day here; mostly sunny with temps from 56 - 68 throughout the route. For those that know this part of California, the route was Uvas Canyon to Day Rd, then down through Hollister, Cienega Rd to 25, 25 to Bitterwater then over to King City (tacos, anyone?) short shot down 101 to 198, back onto 25 and the entire length of 25 back to Gilroy and then home to San Jose. Here's the short version of my take on the new red beast -
  • Handling - Awesome! It love corners, and the ESA II setup and settings are much better than the original ESA. The steering does feel a bit lighter than before.
  • Comfort with the new taller factory bars - Excellent, watch for a set of bar risers going up for sale soon
  • Hesitation - Haa! Fooled you, there is none! It was weird, for a time while carving up canyons when I was transitioning on the throttle I kept expecting the hesitation from the 08 GT to be there and I kept screwing up my lines. Not until now did I realize how prevalent that issue was on my 08GT. Oh, I did get over it rather quickly ;)
  • Tranny - smooth shifting through all the gears, all the time. The clutch pull feels lighter than on the 1200, but the 1200 was far from heavy.
  • Motor - DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, IT IS SWEET!! :yeah: Power all over the place, torque from way down low and just grunty pull everywhere. Linear, immediate, and fast delivery of GO when, where and how you want it, all the time.
Here's a good example of what I mean. A guy on a new R1200RT who could really ride (this guy was fast and handled that thing practically like a sportbike) caught up with us approaching an accident scene on the return trip on 25 and blew past us before he saw the CHP and slowed down. We got past the incident and he opened it up, and I decided to see how long I could keep up with him. I forgot how nice it is to have a skilled rider in front of you so you can follow his lines and have some early warning for braking, lean angles, debris, etc. Well, after about 20 miles of canyons where I don't think we dropped below 70 for more than a few corners, the chicken strips on the new tires are virtually gone. And after the canyon the road opens up into a couple of very long straights. So RT guy opens it up and gets rolling about 120, and I'm staying with him, he pulls to about 130 and I decide, "what the hell", and give the GT the full stick. He nodded as I went past at around 145, and I backed off as a hill approached pulling 154. Nothing about the bike cared it was going that fast, and it was still spooling up more power to go faster. Truly sick.

So all in all a very fun day, and I got a new high speed mark for myself! Woo hoo! Daddy, can I go out and play some more??!!??!!

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
You make me sick!!! :p :p :p :mad:

Okay, I'm through now. :histerica

Seat comfort? Mirrors? Wind? Curious minds want to know.

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
Like I said, the K13 really is the bike that the K12 should have been all along . . .

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lonewuff said:
You make me sick!!! :p :p :p :mad:

Okay, I'm through now. :histerica

Seat comfort? Mirrors? Wind? Curious minds want to know.
Awww, let me make you some chicken soup so you feel better. :p :rotf:

I have a Rick Mayer saddle from my 08 GT so seat comfort is fine. The stock seat on the 09 I demo'd a couple of weeks ago was basically the same as the stocker from my 08 as far as I could tell.

Mirrors are fine, same placement and view as the 08. I get a good view to the resr from both of them with just a bit of my elbows showing on the inside edge.

Wind protection is fine with the tall screen (it came on mine). Airflow is omstly smooth with no buffeting or weird pressure like I would get on the LT with the screen all the way up. It will be better when I get my VStream windshield installed on it, though.

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
Sounds sweet David, congrats!!! :D :D

Umm, 145? Cool... :D

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
, and I backed off as a hill approached pulling 154. !
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings.

Now you lot up there are in MPH aren't you, and not KPH like us down here right? 145....Oh my god!

Cheers to all.

Paul Harrington
Australia

·
Registered
93 Posts
I rode one for a hour and a half yesterday sweet but it DID have a little hesitation when I would crack the throttle. Not a deal breaker though I loved the bike but 23K ouch

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
All I want for Christmas is that setup in an LT that is less than 700lbs. wet. Not asking too much, am I? ;)

Sounds like a great ride. Ride it like ya stole it!

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
BennyBob said:
All I want for Christmas is that setup in an LT that is less than 700lbs. wet. Not asking too much, am I? ;)
Trust me, you're not the only one wanting one of those . . .

BennyBob said:
Sounds like a great ride. Ride it like ya stole it!
Or like they really are after you!

·
Registered
807 Posts
David,

Thanks for the insights about the new 1300. I have been on the fence. Now I might just drive over to see the dealership.;)

Do you have traction control? If so, any feedback about that would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would highly recommend swinging by your dealer and checking on out. And no, my bike does not have traction control. I get the value/benefit, but I just didn't want it on the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts