BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've just come back from a ride out and parked on my drive whilst we had coffee. My friend went to start his 01 LT and it spins over but doesn't give even a hint of firing up, the fuel gauge indicates just under 1/4 tank of fuel. I've had a look in the tank and I can see fuel in there. The rev counter began to spin fully round towards the latter attempts at starting the bike, is that an indication of battery charge? We've had to leave the bike here on charge.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
679 Posts
did you try to reset the motronic? disconnect battery fully, then reconnect...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, we'll try that tomorrow morning after it's re-charged.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Turn the key to on, Listen to hear the fuel pump run..It will run for several seconds to pressurize the fuel system.. You can open the gas tank lid to listen to it... Look down inside while the fuel pump is running.. do you see fuel splashing or spraying around ?

Sometimes the line between the fuel pump and filter will fail or come off and you won't get fuel pressure even though the pump is running..
Fuel pump not running ? Fuel pump relay or fuse...Also check the plug that connects power to the fuel pump at the bottom right side of the fuel tank..Sometimes things just come unplugged..

Sidestand switch ? My CLC cranks but won't start with the sidestand down.. Don't remember if my LT was the same...

Remember the three things needed to run. Fuel, Air, Spark at the right time..
Air is probably not an issue, So your'e left with fuel and spark... Check those to find your problem.

I've also had a fuel disconnect back out just 1/8" and shut off the fuel. It looked like it was connected... Check those for sure...

Remember, It's rarely something complicated.. Look at the simplest things...
Good Luck...

John

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, that's a comprehensive reply and is much appreciated. We'll see how we get on in the morning. The neighbours must think I've won the lottery having a pair of LT's parked on the drive. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
John is correct with hints about fuel pump. The key is that the engine cranks; that eliminates a lot of other possibilities.

What John is describing (asking you to look for spray in the tank) is a possibility that a fuel hose slipped off in the tank. The pump runs inside and will still be whirring - but it will not go anywhere.

External leaking fuel connector could be exonerated, since some fuel would get through to at least fire up a bit. Broken connector would be noticeable as well: fuel would be pouring out from under the fairing.

By the way, I do not think it is not the sidestand switch: as I recall, it cuts both the starter and fuel when in gear - but it should not have an effect in Neutral anyway.

Another possibility could be the Hall Effect crankshaft-position sensor which tells the bike computer that the engine is spinning; unfortunately, that is difficult to troubleshoot in the driveway.

I am trying to think what could fail suddenly when parking the bike - or what could fail while riding, but would be not noticed until a restart. I'll post more if I have more ideas.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for that Robert :) I think it's going to be a bit of trial and elimination.

Neither of us are confident (or experienced) in art of LT mechanics, so we'll try the simple things first, i.e disconnect the battery. :D Fingers crossed that we'll get lucky and it'll fire up, either that or it'll be a call to a recovery service I think.

What would the flicking of the rev counter indicate, is that simply a low battery warning?

·
Registered
989 Posts
If your rev counter was going crazy after you tried to start up for a while, chances are indeed that the battery voltage was low and everything was getting confused.

As you say, let it rest, charge it back up - disconnecting the battery won't hurt, though I am not hopeful.

Do not forget to listen for the fuel pump running for a brief moment as you turn ignition key on. Collecting all symptoms may help you build a picture of what is happening.

Good luck - maybe it works out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts