BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Especially since the brain trust here in So Cal wants to turn all of the carpool lanes into toll lanes.

How about pushing some responsibility back to the individual and making some better drivers?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Rode the Golden Gate Bridge south bound and the toll taker wanted no toll .
Was that because we were "car pooling" 2 up or bikes free ? Could be she was being kind to some one that made it across with the wind gusting

Bob G

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Hate to be a naysayer, but I doubt that this will fly. Many of the Toll Roads in So. Cal. are private, I do believe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
gbob said:
Was that because we were "car pooling" 2 up or bikes free ? Could be she was being kind to some one that made it across with the wind gusting

Bob G
Not sure. North bound has always been free. I do know the Antioch bridge is free to motorcycles during peak "carpool" hours. (North bound, South is free always)

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
gbob said:

Bob G
If it was during commute hours it's because you were on a motorcycle. 1 or 2 up bikes bet a free pass in commute lanes and bridge tolls during the commute, 5-9 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. Monday - Friday.

·
Registered
624 Posts
hallzee said:
Hate to be a naysayer, but I doubt that this will fly. Many of the Toll Roads in So. Cal. are private, I do believe.
A few of them are, like the 241 and 261, but in LA, they have proposed making all of the existing carpool lanes (originally built with tax payer dollars) toll lanes because the current carpool lanes do not meet the Federal minimum average speed of 45mph during rush hour.

What this would do is discourage people from carpooling and basically create one empty lane of traffic.

As a rider that uses the carpool lane on my bike at every opportunity, this would force me out into the more congested lanes. I believe it is safer for me to ride in the carpool lane, as it eliminates 90 degrees of idiots from around me (if they are coming over the wall, I'm not worried about them).

You aren't going to solve the traffic problems in California's cities until you make better drivers.

I'm not a fan of big government, but if making your registration good for two years and requiring a written AND behind the wheel test for vehicle registration would improve the quality of California drivers, it would probably be worth it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have HEARD that if you get up on the dual sets of reflectors under the Fastrack monitors that it fails to trigger the sensors that activate the cameras. I have not HEARD of anyone getting a ticket while doing this.

If there is the toll plaza, you are screwed and have to pay the toll.

·
Registered
797 Posts
DaveDragon said:
I wrote letters & email to the Florida Turn Pike Authority and the Gov's office about implementing this in Florida.

I was told that it would cost to much to retrofit the system with Motorcycle Specific transponders.

BS Magnum from them.
If free, why need a transponder at all. Just make a lane too small for cars for all bikes to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts