BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on eBay where one can purchase a Service Manual for $4.99 and download the .pdf.

Does anyone know where one can get this .pdf file for free?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Safedog said:
I see on eBay where one can purchase a Service Manual for $4.99 and download the .pdf.

..most of us prefer to buy the CD from BMW - although it might seem overpriced, it is not theft (which ever way you look at it).

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Safedog said:

Most of us think that even buying the illegal copies and putting money in someone's hands for nothing but a few minutes time and a $0.30 CD is a poor move, now it is available for download, requiring almost nothing for the perpetrator, now you want a $125 file for FREE?

If you are willing to obtain something illegal, why do you think $4.99 is too much to pay for it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I asked

Look....I am new to this and am not world-worthy as some of you are. I was not sure if there was free-ware type information out there.

I apologize if I have offended a few of you, but don't appreciate the inferences made that I am a bad guy looking to break the law.

Respectfully....Karl

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
dont take it personally

Karl, don't sweat it. This touchy subject happens to ignite certain emotions when it comes to copy right laws. Good question anyway.

Safedog said:
Look....I am new to this and am not world-worthy as some of you are. I was not sure if there was free-ware type information out there.

I apologize if I have offended a few of you, but don't appreciate the inferences made that I am a bad guy looking to break the law.

Respectfully....Karl

·
Registered
428 Posts
Carl; No big deal, these guys get on their soapboxes every time this subject is brought up.
You did not ask anything that has not been asked many times and with the same results.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Karl This is a good site for information but the BMW attitude gets in the way of these guys sometimes.The mightier than thou attitude they have is bogus so just ask any question and it will get answered lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Beware the rightous.

Greetings Karl

Precisely the reason why I don't join the BMW club here in Australia. It's like not a single person has ever done anything remotely not right in their lives. You picking up a pirate copy of a service manual. Big flamin' deal. You'll surely go to hell for that. But it's OK for BMW to ignore known design faults with many of their bikes year after year inspite of us spending tens of thousands of dollars on them to purchase and then repair at our cost...(Like my ABS sensors)

It's up to you Karl.

Kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote the Raven

Paul,

I think comedian Steven Wright says it best, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism." or if you like, "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."

PS - I gave Steve the credit - no plagiarism here!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would order the Clymer manual anyhow. Half the price.
I have seen the BMW shop manual and prefer the Clymer.
The Clymer manual seam to be more user Friendly (to me anyhow in the past :bmw: )
It can be purchased on line as of today at .
"https://www.buyprism.com/Groups.asp?CATID=6"

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey with the Steelers Emblem and the "Safedog" name I have a question for you.
You are not Ben Roethlisberger trading up to a new bike are you ? :D

Form a Browns fan !!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Ben & Kellen Jr. Do Bike Safety

Na....although we have shared the same -type of football embarrassment.

Perhaps Ben and Kellen Jr. should be the new poster children for this website!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Karl,
Just about everything you need to know for general maintenance you can find on this site for free. And for the tough stuff, someone in the group has probably already had the problem and can tell you the simplest (and cheapest) way to fix it. And hey, don't let David fool you, he STOLE those good looks of his from his mom and dad.:D

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
rkirker said:
I would order the Clymer manual anyhow. Half the price.
I have seen the BMW shop manual and prefer the Clymer.
The Clymer manual seam to be more user Friendly (to me anyhow in the past :bmw: )
It can be purchased on line as of today at .
"https://www.buyprism.com/Groups.asp?CATID=6"

does that clymer give any diagnoses references? instead of
JUsT how to change the parts!
a REAL manual I would be glad to pay for!

heck even the HD manual gives diagnoses trees

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
tmgs said:
does that clymer give any diagnoses references? instead of
JUsT how to change the parts!
a REAL manual I would be glad to pay for!

heck even the HD manual gives diagnoses trees
I got spoiled many years ago with Toyota service manuals. The older ones gave step by step testing procedures for just about everything on the car, with highly detailed instructions and pictures. Even they got progressively less detailed as the years passed though.

I have two BMW cars, and BMW has almost no information available to the owner, and the only halfway decent manual for my 5 series is by Bentley, but even they have nothing for the 7 series.

What little BMW does have available for cars on CD's basically says "hook up diagnostic tester, if "--------" fails, replace it".

At least they have decent information available for the motorcycles! But I agree, it would be MUCH better if they developed some testing procedures that a reasonably talented person could perform with normal equipment and not the relatively unavailable and prohibitively expensive diagnostic systems the dealers use. Things like ignition timing can be done pretty easily with a multimeter, but the only way the service information has is to use the dealer diagnostic computer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just Got the new Clymer today and it does have a chapter 2 "Troubleshooting" which contains the following.
engine will not start
Poor engine performance
Fuel system
engine
engine lubrication
cylinder leakdown test
clutch
transmission linkage
transmission
electrical
final drive
front suspesion and steering
braking system..

Between this ne Clymer and the wealth of knowlage on this site I am fairly sure I can tackle most maintenance issues myself. as long as I have the right tool fo rthe right job.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Borrow a copy.

BMW dealership told me that if I order the CD for $125 I was nuts!! There are many copies to borrow on line...

I know that there are many computer programers and purests here so let me say I respect your point of view. I simply don't subscribe to it.

I've been building, borrowing and buying second-hand stuff for most of my life including the LT. You want to borrow my CD your welcome! "FREE!"

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
rkirker said:
Just Got the new Clymer today and it does have a chapter 2 "Troubleshooting" which contains the following.
engine will not start
Poor engine performance
Fuel system
engine
engine lubrication
cylinder leakdown test
clutch
transmission linkage
transmission
electrical
final drive
front suspesion and steering
braking system..

Between this ne Clymer and the wealth of knowlage on this site I am fairly sure I can tackle most maintenance issues myself. as long as I have the right tool fo rthe right job.

dang I need the reverse system diagnoses!

Thanks for looking

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Well, hey, Karl, as I sat reading your post on the computer I bought from a guy from the back of a truck through the wireless connection I access because my neighbor didn't encrypt his access point, listening to MP3 music I downloaded off of the internet, with the TV on in the background playing movies with the cable box that the cable installer gave me for $50 under the table that allows me to access all the pay-per-view movies for free, smoking a genuine cuban cigar that a buddy smuggled over the border, finishing the last bite of the venison steak my neighbor poached out of season, i thought to myself "What a bastard, thinking that he can get the shop manual .pdf file without paying the $100+ for it even though he didn't realize it wasn't "kosher", I sure hope at least four or five people rip him to shreds and insinuate that he's some kind of thief!!!"

Lighten up people or we're gonna' have to petition BMW to start making additional models of riding boots with steel toes just for when people log onto the forums here for all of the times people get their toes stepped on.

"Cain't we all jus' git along?"---Rodney King

--The views expressed above are those of the author and not necessarily those of the management.

Pete

1 - 20 of 29 Posts