BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All Members and LT Owners:
I have been very reluctant to write this article and have attempted to get this worked out here in the Philippines and also with BMW Motorrad in Germany. To date no one has offered a solution.
On January 20, 2007 My K1200 LT caught fire and was completely destroyed. BMW Philippines has stated that since the cause of the fire cannot be determined they are claiming no responsibility. The insurance company is saying that the bike is under warranty and that it is the responsibility of BMW to replace it. In the mean time I am the one without a motorcycle.
My LT was purchased on February 11, 2005. It has never run very good and during the almost two years and approximately 18,000 KM BMW Philippines two dealerships has attempted to fix it. About three weeks prior to the fire BMW finally replaced the electronic control module. Almost immediately I reported that I smelt raw gas. Their response to me were two comments, Are you seeing any puddles? My answer was no. Their next comment to me was to ride the bike because BMW Germany wanted to get all the old stuff from the engine.
On the day of the fire it was a beautiful morning and around 11:00AM I decided to take a ride. When I left the house I had no destination in mind. As I got on the expressway and headed south I noticed that the temperature of the bike was going to the high side and the cooling fans would come on and it would drop back to normal again. In the past the temperature would always rise while riding in slow environments but it had never risen at highway speeds. AS I headed south I decided that I would go to the beach resort in Ternate Cavite and have lunch at the beach resort. I arrived at Puerto Azul and decided to view the area before lunch. I rode all the way through the area, turned around and decided it was time for lunch. I passed the rode that I was suppose to turn on and found myself going back up the hill in the direction I had originally come from. The road has an uphill grade and the bike started to act as if it was loosing power. About halfway up the grade I started to smell gasoline again. That is also the time in which I smelled something burning. I pulled to side of the road, opened the side compartment, and pulled the seat knob. When I opened the seat the engine was already on fire. I attempted to put the fire out with a towel I kept in the back but to no avail. When the towel caught fire I was afraid the bike was going to explode so I ran away from the bike. A family was driving by and gave me a ride back to the Beach Resort. I asked that they call police and fire department and headed back to the bike. When I arrived back to the bikes location there was nothing left.
The information I have written above was bad enough but the story gets worse. After the fire I have been searching and reviewing information from the LT website about gas leaks and LT's that have been destroyed. During my investigation I found the BMW VIN Coder page. I plugged the VIN number from my 2005 BMW K1200 LT and discover that it was manufactured in 2003/02. Everything about the motorcycle says it is a 2005 model except the VIN De Coder information. I was sold a 2005 model, it is registered as a 2005 but it is actually a 2003 model. The fact that I was sold a two year old motorcycle explains why the tires were worn out in only 7,000 KM. I replaced the tires, at my expense because BMW Philippines refused to replace them under warranty. The battery was also replaced during the first three months of having the bike. In my opinion the tires were dry rotted from sitting and the battery was just old. The stories on this motorcycle are numerous and this story could continue however I think I have said enough.
Before discovering that BMW had created fraud I had told BMW Philippines and BMW Germany that all I wanted was to have my motorcycle replaced. The President of BMW Philippines, Dr. Joerg Breuer asked me why I wanted the bike replaced, given all the problems I have had. My comment back to his question was the following: Even with your bad service BMW Philippines is the only Motorcycle dealer who has service. If I replaced my motorcycle with a Honda Goldwing there is no one to service it.
I had given BMW Philippines and BMW Germany until the close of the business day, Wednesday February 21, 2007, to respond and make an amicable agreement. That deadline has passed and as of 6:00PM I have instructed my attorney to proceed with a lawsuit.
I truly hope that no one else has to ever go through this ordeal. If someone had told me two years ago that BMW workmanship on their motorcycle was like this, I would not have bought one in the first place. I truly loved my motorcycle and miss it very much. For almost two years I prayed that each time it was being repaired would be the last time. That prayer was never answered.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yep, Lawer time...

Sounds to me like someone screwed up when replacing the control module.
Could have been a quick disconnect...but sounds like you definately had a gas leak....Not good, and since you reported it immediately after the bike was serviced the dealer should have been more anxious to take care of it...

With the VIN number weirdness and all that I'm wondering if you didn't have a stolen/retitled bike..
Someone put an older vin number on a newer stolen bike to get it titled...

You purchased it from the dealer correct ?

Was it a new bike or was it used when you purchased it ?

Please keep us informed on this...Your Lawyer will get someone to pay, It's between the dealership and the insurance company so let them fight it out....

Good Luck..

John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John:
The bike was purchased on February 11, 2005. It was sold to me as a new 2005 K1200 LT. It was registered here in the Philippines as a new 2005 model. It had 7 KM showing on the odometer when I received it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to use that dealership for service.
I'd go with the Honda and an independent mechanic. :mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have wished for the past years that there was somewhere else to go for service. Honda does not service any big bikes, not even their own. Had some other mechanic worked on the bike the warranty would be have been voided

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having lived in the Philippines a cumulative five years I am not the least bit surprised regarding the VIN fraud and you can count on the bike having been stolen somewhere. Even with a vehicle imported legally and duties paid (which no one does) you still must payoff 4-5 separate government reps. to register the thing. It was most likely off-loaded in one of the southern islands and moved to Manila via inter-island ferry for modification/documentation.

Inadvertent poor service work can be encountered anywhere, but in the Philippines I would have my doubts (convictions) about whether they even replaced the parts they said they did - especially since you didn't see the parts that came off the bike. If you still have custody this could be something to check as I believe major components have serial numbers which can be tied to a VIN. Also, I have never heard of a Philippine insurance company paying off any claim unless the underwriter is an international.

No help at all I know but hopefully the lawyer can do something (if he is connected). I think your best hope is to continue to hammer BMW AG Germany since they are ultimately responsible for authorized dealers. If you don't get anywhere you'll still have the Filipinas and beaches.

Wish you the best of luck.

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Not to be morbid here... I wonder if you could post better pics of the fire. It can serve as a good reminder for us to do "due diligence" in our own "self-service" routines.

Best wishes for a "new day" to dawn for you... and BMW.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I know this does not help anything but just to get the picture clear for myself and maybe some others...

As we all know (and you should also know by now even if you did not when buying the bike) that a new bike in Feb 05 would have been the "new model" LT with dual lights, electric centerstand, different dash etc.
If your bike was actually manufactured in Feb 03, it obviously did not have these new model features- or am I wrong?

My ´05 (as the Americans call it, I call mine ´04 model) was manufactured in Dec 2003 and I bought the bike in February 04. I have understood that this is one of the earliest new model bikes.

If your bike really was the new model, but the VIN code referred to older bike then again something smells bad.

I wish you all the luck with your fight and let's hope things turn out Ok after all.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
According to AsiaoneMotoring "In the Philippines, BMW Group commanded a 53 per cent market share of the relatively small premium segment, with only 803 units"
This is a tenuous business. One that they wouldn't want to jeopardise with bad publicity
I would strongly suggest a well worded press release. First sent to the retailer for comment and then the newspapers if the comment doesn't include a refund!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those of you that have replied to this thread, I Thank You. I will see if I can post some better pictures. The response about the differences between a 2003 verses a 2005 was good and I wish at the time I had known this. Regardless of my ignorence, the dealer should have told me what I was buying.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
cherokee123 said:
For those of you that have replied to this thread, I Thank You. I will see if I can post some better pictures. The response about the differences between a 2003 verses a 2005 was good and I wish at the time I had known this. Regardless of my ignorence, the dealer should have told me what I was buying.
So was your bike a "new" LT with the power center stand and separate high/low beam or the older LT??

·
Registered
253 Posts
Boy, this story just has me shaking my head. Sorry for your misfortune, and I really hope things work out for you, but are things so screwed up in the Phillipines that the titling agencies don't get their sirens set off by a bad vin? Or, how about your riding group, didn't anybody say "hey, what's up with the dash and centerstand"?
This is a bizarre story for sure.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Good luck Bill, sounds like you're in for a long fight.
I recently "decoded" my Sept '05 purchase to find it was an 04/2004 build date, but it does have dual lights/electric centre stand.
So it seems like a bike sitting around for 18 months isn't out of the ordinary.
Please post the larger image, it aint every day we see a melted beemer...

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Good luck with your legal fight, Bill.

Can you share a link to the VIN decoder site?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was only one LT in the Philippines when I bought the bike so I did not know the difference. A few months later BMW brought a second unit in and it was bought by a friend of mine. Yes he had the center stand and there were a few differences in the two bikes. I had cruise control and he did not, I had heated grips and he did not. My fault, but I honestly did not know the difference. The dealership was representing it as a 2005. The price that we both paid was very close to the same amount. As requested, I have attached some pictures that were taken the day of the incident.

Regards to All

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Wow, thats really sad, Bill. Feel for you deeply.
Hope they (BMW) come to the party without too much more heartache over it. Keep us up to date!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Does the paperwork regarding the purchase represent the bike as a new '05? Or, did the dealer tell you it was an '05 but recorded it on the sale paperwork as a used '0x? Looking at your pics, looks like the standard spring-loaded center stand.

I don't envy your position, and I wish you all of the best in getting the responsible party to stand up and do what is right.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your situation.
Is that a siren on the left side? I think in the US, there are special circumstances when buying used vehicles from govt agencies, such as odometer disclosure and all that legal stuff. Was it a Polizei edition?
I wonder if they outright lied about the vehicle history to you??

1 - 20 of 74 Posts