BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
IPilot said:
Assuming thats the correct connector the fly lead part number appears to be 611655.

Mark

Well I have hit another brick wall with BMW. They agree that the pictured connecter is the audio output but now they cant tell me the correct part number for a pin plug to connect to it.. BMW really are useless !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
IPilot said:
Well I have hit another brick wall with BMW. They agree that the pictured connecter is the audio output but now they cant tell me the correct part number for a pin plug to connect to it.. BMW really are useless !
They probably don't have a part number yet. My dealer is saying there is no part number yet for the new windshield support arm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
IPilot said:
Well I think this is the line-outAttached) and all I need to do now is figure what plug fits it so i can make up a fly lead to the intercom.
Hi iPilot. If I am not mistaken, a closer look on the second picture you posted indicates that only three out of the four poles on the plug are hot. The fourth does not seem to have any copper on it. This should not be a problem though as a stereo connection only needs three poles (two positive lines one for each channel and a common negative).
Have you checked that the connector you found (I assume you did find it) is indeed the line out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
dmavrika said:
Hi iPilot. If I am not mistaken, a closer look on the second picture you posted indicates that only three out of the four poles on the plug are hot. The fourth does not seem to have any copper on it. This should not be a problem though as a stereo connection only needs three poles (two positive lines one for each channel and a common negative).
Have you checked that the connector you found (I assume you did find it) is indeed the line out?
Yes you are correct it is a four pole plug but only 3 are used because it has a common ground. I have what we 'believe' is the correct connector on order and once it arrives we are going to connect up a pair of speakers and see what is actually presented :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
IPilot said:
Yes you are correct it is a four pole plug but only 3 are used because it has a common ground. I have what we 'believe' is the correct connector on order and once it arrives we are going to connect up a pair of speakers and see what is actually presented :rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply.
I will be performing some digging myself over the next weekend and I will try and test the connection with a multimeter.
If in the meantime you get your connector, pls drop a few lines for me.

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Dear all. The line out connector is exactly were iPilot's pictures show. Right next to the RPM meter and you need to take half the bike apart to reach it.
Anyway it works. All of you who have had some elementary experience with a soldering iron and a couple of screwdrivers (or should I say torx screwdrivers to be more precise) can make it work pronto, otherwise you should wait for BMW to come up with the proper connector, if they ever do. They gave me a connector with part number 611656 which is not the correct one. Anyway, I'll give a short description of what needs to be done and ... the decision is yours!

The first attachment shows a close-up of the connector - although its a four-pole connector, only 3 leads are live - and I have marked them 1, 2 and 3.
Like I said, BMW are still searching for the right connector and I need my music now, so I cut the connector and used the cables behind it. The cables on Poles 1 and 2 carry the signal (left and right channels - makes no difference which is which, the bike does not have a left/ right balance switch) and pole 3 is the ground. For those of you who decide to attach speakers (although I have no idea where you could attach them - maybe the top case?) you should bridge the two negative leads from the speakers and attach them to the ground (pole 3) and attach the two positive leads to the leads on poles 1 and 2.

If you need to connect the line out to a communication system like Starcom1 (or Autocom - they are both under Tecstar in the UK) you will be needing a cable like the one shown hereunder. The 3.5 mm jack goes to the music-in of your system and you need to connect the four loose leads to the bike. Here's how you do it: First of all ignore pole 3 altogether. Do not connect the two negatives to it. If you do you will get a lot of static through your headsets. At least that was the case with my Starcom. It seems that as Starcom is already connected to the bike's negative (ground) doing it again through pole 3 causes static. Just solder the two negatives together and let them be. Then solder the two positive leads of your music cable to poles 1 and 2. That should do it. Naturally, take extra care to insulate everything.

Also, make certain that the line out is activated (press TONE repeatedly until you reach LINE on the display. If its off, toggle it ON by pushing the rotary volume switch towards the handle bar) and that the fader (press TONE once more) is allowing some throughput to the "rear speakers".
Enjoy!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
@dmavrika

Is this connector you used active or passive? What I need to know is if it is amplified (a connected speaker would work) or not (which means it is a "line out").

This is important because my intercom has a "line in", for an active signal I would need an adapter.

Regards

Thomas

P.S: Good description, by the way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
This is good news, I have been following this thread since the first post but could not comment as my 2010 RT was not delivered. But now I took delivery of it this weekend . . . . . and I cant find how to pull apart the dash area, can someone point me to a web page or instructions how to remove the offending plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bashkeria said:
This is good news, I have been following this thread since the first post but could not comment as my 2010 RT was not delivered. But now I took delivery of it this weekend . . . . . and I cant find how to pull apart the dash area, can someone point me to a web page or instructions how to remove the offending plastic.

Its not a long job once you know how to get the damn thing apart :)

Many of the screws are obvious but some are not and the fear of breaking something makes it a slow process.

Front side panels are obvious and they need to come off, the screen and the cover around the clocks is obvious but then you find you need to remove the final big bit which is the main cover across the speakers etc. There are some screws which are obvious but the ones that threw me were behind the mirror housings which themselves need to come off so what you need to know if you don't already is how to remove the mirrors.

There are 2 torx wrenches in the bike tool kit a large and a small.

The small one fits up through a hole in the bottom of each mirror housing and unscrews a single screw that retains the mirror glass onto its pivot, locate and undo that screw and click the mirror glass off its pivot.

Then use the large torx wrench to unscrew the 2 mirror housing retaining bolts one of which is down a very deep hole and must be in position when you come to refit the mirror housing later.

Once the housings are off you can remove the speaker cover and reveal the plug cable tied to the harness as shown on the pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
theigl said:
@dmavrika

Is this connector you used active or passive? What I need to know is if it is amplified (a connected speaker would work) or not (which means it is a "line out").

This is important because my intercom has a "line in", for an active signal I would need an adapter.

Regards

Thomas

P.S: Good description, by the way...
As I connected the thing directly to the music (line in) of my intercom (Starcom1) I am relatively certain that it is a passive connection (line out). However, BMW describes it (albeit in the manual that has got everything wrong) as a line out AND a connection for rear speakers, so one might assume that it carries some amplification. If so, it is not too strong as to cause an issue. In your case I would give it a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
IPilot said:
Its not a long job once you know how to get the damn thing apart :)

Many of the screws are obvious but some are not and the fear of breaking something makes it a slow process.

Front side panels are obvious and they need to come off, the screen and the cover around the clocks is obvious but then you find you need to remove the final big bit which is the main cover across the speakers etc. There are some screws which are obvious but the ones that threw me were behind the mirror housings which themselves need to come off so what you need to know if you don't already is how to remove the mirrors.

There are 2 torx wrenches in the bike tool kit a large and a small.

The small one fits up through a hole in the bottom of each mirror housing and unscrews a single screw that retains the mirror glass onto its pivot, locate and undo that screw and click the mirror glass off its pivot.

Then use the large torx wrench to unscrew the 2 mirror housing retaining bolts one of which is down a very deep hole and must be in position when you come to refit the mirror housing later.

Once the housings are off you can remove the speaker cover and reveal the plug cable tied to the harness as shown on the pictures.
Hi iPilot.
Did BMW come up with a working connector, or .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
dmavrika said:
As I connected the thing directly to the music (line in) of my intercom (Starcom1) I am relatively certain that it is a passive connection (line out). However, BMW describes it (albeit in the manual that has got everything wrong) as a line out AND a connection for rear speakers, so one might assume that it carries some amplification. If so, it is not too strong as to cause an issue. In your case I would give it a try.
Hi,

thanks for the answer. I was also confused by the description in the manual. I will disassemble the cockpit on the weekend and follow your hint to give it a try!

I have also tried to get a plug for the connector, but my dealer has no clue whatsoever. So I decided to do it your way, cut the plug and solder two cables for pluggin in to my intercom (which is a MIP 200, www.imc-motorcom.com, with built in digital 2-way radio).

What a shame for BMW that they print and bring out a manual, which has such an obvious error! The two plugs are there, but one is the power for the GPS (which I have used with the plug 611656) and the other one is a line in for the GPS audio to be broadcasted through the audio system.

Greetings from bavaria

Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Hi Thomas are you saying that there is a plug for the audio in for a gps next to the power connector?.When i fitted my nav iv I didnt notice the plug fitted the power fine but left the audio lead taped to the power lead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
dmavrika said:
Hi iPilot.
Did BMW come up with a working connector, or .....
No they said they were ordering one but that was the last I heard on the subject. They have been a total waste of time, its been down to the likes of you and i to do all the work.

I too ended up cutting off the plug but I soldered on a stereo 3.5mm jack socket in its place and used an autocom cable to plug straight in at both ends. It was one with a ground loop isolator to prevent interference. I already had it from a past install on another bike but if I hadn’t I would have done it exactly as you did.

Initially I set it up with all the fader set to the rear so the front speakers were silent but then I set it 25% front 75% rear that improves the base quality as the speakers are better than headsets in that respect.

Mark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
philh24 said:
Hi Thomas are you saying that there is a plug for the audio in for a gps next to the power connector?.When i fitted my nav iv I didnt notice the plug fitted the power fine but left the audio lead taped to the power lead
@philh24

Here

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/services/downloads_service.html

you can download the manual for the audio system (if you do not have it). In chapter 6 page 34 it shows the two plugs. Of course, the text is not correct saying that plug 1 is the line out but it is the GPS power output. The other plug is the audio, both plugs are present in my RT (built 04/2010)

Greetings

Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
IPilot said:
No they said they were ordering one but that was the last I heard on the subject. They have been a total waste of time, its been down to the likes of you and i to do all the work.

I too ended up cutting off the plug but I soldered on a stereo 3.5mm jack socket in its place and used an autocom cable to plug straight in at both ends. It was one with a ground loop isolator to prevent interference. I already had it from a past install on another bike but if I hadn’t I would have done it exactly as you did.

Initially I set it up with all the fader set to the rear so the front speakers were silent but then I set it 25% front 75% rear that improves the base quality as the speakers are better than headsets in that respect.

Mark.
Thanks Mark.
I will take you up with the hint about the fader position. Makes perfect sense.

Cheers.
Dimitris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
theigl said:
@philh24

Here

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/services/downloads_service.html

you can download the manual for the audio system (if you do not have it). In chapter 6 page 34 it shows the two plugs. Of course, the text is not correct saying that plug 1 is the line out but it is the GPS power output. The other plug is the audio, both plugs are present in my RT (built 04/2010)

Greetings

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

Am I right in assuming that your bike came with the navi sysytem pre-installed, Or at least the harness for the navi preinstalled?

That would explain how you have that extra connector which is missing on our bikes. Unless BMW ships a different configuration outside Germany!

Dimitris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
dmavrika said:
Hi Thomas,

Am I right in assuming that your bike came with the navi sysytem pre-installed, Or at least the harness for the navi preinstalled?

That would explain how you have that extra connector which is missing on our bikes. Unless BMW ships a different configuration outside Germany!

Dimitris
Hi Dimitris,

maybe your second thought is right...

I did not order the BMW Navi and I cannot remember to order the harness either. The only thing I wanted is the original BMW navi holder bar over the instruments, where I can fix my TomTom Navi with the Touratech mount. As far I know, this will be installed by the dealer, not in the factory.


Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
theigl said:
@philh24

Here

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/services/downloads_service.html

you can download the manual for the audio system (if you do not have it). In chapter 6 page 34 it shows the two plugs. Of course, the text is not correct saying that plug 1 is the line out but it is the GPS power output. The other plug is the audio, both plugs are present in my RT (built 04/2010)

Greetings

Thomas
EDIT:

This is the correct link to download the manuals

"www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/services/downloads_service.html"

Ciao

Thomas
 
21 - 40 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top