BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Autocom system, and the speakers that came with it are awful. No bass, and low volume; sounded like a mid 60's era transistor radio. They sucked so bad that I went with ear buds for about two years.

I finally got tired of having to deal with the ear buds (longing for the days when I simply put the helmet on), and searched for a solution, other than starting from scratch with a whole new comm system.

I found these speakers, and the sound is great! They come with a standard audio jack, and volume control, but I simply spliced them into my Autocom Helmet Harness.

Couple of pointers:
* Splicing those tiny wires requires patience. The wiring itself is about the width of a human hair!
* When installing into helmet, don't just put the speakers into the speaker well (I have a C3). Properly align them with your ears (experiment with location) prior to velcroing them into place. A mm or two in any direction makes a huge difference.

Cost was $79.95 plus shipping. :cool:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought a pair of the Iasus Xsound2 speakers from the same company. Great speakers for my Shoei Multitech. I tried them in my Shoei RF1000, but they were too thick so I used my old set of HS92's.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Sena SMH10-11 working perfect in my Nolan N103 with the RT audio system. . I read that the sound would not be great with the sena helmet speakers but thought I would give it a go anyway. Correct, the sound it not great. From reading this thread, the Tork speakers seem good. Are there many others using these speakers? I don't want to use ear buds although I know they will give you the best sound.
Thanks,

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the TorxPro and like them but i have them wired directly to the rear speaker plug. I dont know how they would sound with a comm system. These speakers are slightly larger than the Sena, Cardo, Uclear speakers. I have concern that the comm systems dont have the power to get good sound from the TorxPros. I would love to hear the answer to this comparison. I'm ultimately wanting to go route of Sena or Cardo but frankly if the sound is weaker than direct connection to bike audio then its not worth time/expense.

I have listened to TorxPros directly from Iphone but not while riding. Road and wind noise has a way of degrading the sound quality real fast.

Larry

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
AustinRT said:
I have the TorxPro and like them but i have them wired directly to the rear speaker plug. I dont know how they would sound with a comm system. These speakers are slightly larger than the Sena, Cardo, Uclear speakers. I have concern that the comm systems dont have the power to get good sound from the TorxPros. I would love to hear the answer to this comparison. I'm ultimately wanting to go route of Sena or Cardo but frankly if the sound is weaker than direct connection to bike audio then its not worth time/expense.

I have listened to TorxPros directly from Iphone but not while riding. Road and wind noise has a way of degrading the sound quality real fast.

Larry
There is a test on Webbikeworld that should answer your question about the TorxPro speakers.

My question to you is whether you had to make a cutout in the foam of your helmet to fit the speakers in? It is larger in diameter and thicker than any of the comm system speakers, and even if your helmet have cavities for speakers, they are usually too small for the Torx!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Schuberth C3 helmet, which has plenty of room for the speakers. They tuck nicely into the cutouts behind the liners. They KEY is to get the speakers aligned correctly. They have to be perfectly centered on your ear, so experiment - a bit of a hassle initially, but worth the effort. I found it easiest to put the helmet on, then put a small tab of painters tape on the outside of the helmet opposite of where my eardrum is. This helped to get the initial placement very close (much better than just guessing where your ear center is while working inside the helmet).....

The sound quality inside the C3 is outstanding; it is a very quiet helmet. Your results may vary! :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pad, I did not have to modify the helmet at all. In fact the Shoei 1100 recess is almost too large. Had i cut out the foam so speakers could be full recessed into pocket i think they would have been too far away from ear to be effective. Others may disagree but i like having the void behind the speaker. Not being an expert on speaker design, i do know that if the pocket is air tight you lose some of the bass potential. Brian is correct that some experimentation is needed to get the best placement relative to your ears. Helmet speaker recesses arent necessarily in the perfect possition for every ear. I was able to position the speakers behind the foam cheek pad edge, over the stryofaom shell speaker recess, and shifted around slightly to the optimum ear position. Its very much like have a good fitting pair of headphones on. The only think that would make my set up better would be to further reduce wind noise but the trade of would be heat. Its all a compromise. I'll check out the TorxPro review with comm systems.

Larry

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
AustinRT said:
Pad, I did not have to modify the helmet at all. In fact the Shoei 1100 recess is almost too large. Had i cut out the foam so speakers could be full recessed into pocket i think they would have been too far away from ear to be effective. Others may disagree but i like having the void behind the speaker. Not being an expert on speaker design, i do know that if the pocket is air tight you lose some of the bass potential. Brian is correct that some experimentation is needed to get the best placement relative to your ears. Helmet speaker recesses arent necessarily in the perfect possition for every ear. I was able to position the speakers behind the foam cheek pad edge, over the stryofaom shell speaker recess, and shifted around slightly to the optimum ear position. Its very much like have a good fitting pair of headphones on. The only think that would make my set up better would be to further reduce wind noise but the trade of would be heat. Its all a compromise. I'll check out the TorxPro review with comm systems.

Larry
Thanks Larry, and Brian, for your inputs! I am using a Nolan helmet right now, and the pockets are too small for even the speakers that came with my SENA SMH10. I do agree with the air pocket behind the speakers to improve the bass. Better still if there is a hard surface to bounce the sound back! I have been thinking about the Shoei GT Air, since I like the review that I have read. So, it's good to know that Shoei helmets have large speaker pockets.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Before changing my sena speakers, the sena tech support said to try Bluetooth directly to my iphone as there has been issues with BMW audio system and sound quality. Bingo, my sound it now great (at least I think so).
I know I can add a sena smh dongle to the rear speaker line and then my sound is suppose to be better with the BMW audio system but I am happy to not bother with the audio system. I just want music and I now have it. Sena tech support were great to deal with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts