BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what its worth Best Buy has Roady 2 XM units for $50.

There has been a lot of talk about needing a ground plane for the XM antenna well I accidently found one inside the right side handlebar cover. There is a little tab welded to the handlebar and the antenna magnetically attaches itself there. sweeet.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
I like it - I'm looking for a place to "hide" my XM antenna (currently on my BMR shelf behind the GPS...)

Keep us posted as to your reception quality in that location...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Roady Antenna

Cool - thanks for the tip. I mounted my Roady to a plastic farkle mount I made that attaches to the top of my tank bag (also holds cell phone and Garmin GPS-PDA). I tried hiding the antenna in the tank bag - it actually sort of works 80% of the time without a ground plane. I'll try your suggestion...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
antenna reception

The only reception issues I have had with the antenna inside the handlbar cover is on some of the canopy type roads with trees hanging over.
I don't know but I imagine that would happen no matter where you mounted the antenna.

·
Registered
153 Posts
XM Radio Antenna Location - S w e e e e t !

SilverBuffalo said:
For what its worth Best Buy has Roady 2 XM units for $50.

There has been a lot of talk about needing a ground plane for the XM antenna well I accidently found one inside the right side handlebar cover. There is a little tab welded to the handlebar and the antenna magnetically attaches itself there. sweeet.
After constructing and installing a Ground Plane on my '01 KLT I feel somewhat chagrined that you found such a beautifully simple solution AND, the Handle Bars surely do provide a whole lot larger ground area.

D U H ! ! !

·
Registered
118 Posts
question about placement

When you put the handle bar cover back on, won't that obscure reception as the antenna will be covered with plastic?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sometimes you're the winshield...

George I saw your installation and had the cowling of looking to see how I was going to do just that, I admire your ingenuity.
I just got lucky and kept it simple.
So there you have it:
You're ingenius
and I'm simple.

·
Registered
153 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
George I saw your installation and had the cowling of looking to see how I was going to do just that, I admire your ingenuity.
I just got lucky and kept it simple.
So there you have it:
You're ingenius
and I'm simple.
Hans,

Thanx for the kind words HOWEVER, I can't take ANY credit for the 'Satellite Antenna Ground Plane installed over the headlite' - its Randy Prade's idea and developoment - his ingenuity came up with it first.
[ http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=27289&page=13&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0 ]

Once installed, the Ground Plane would be an ideal location for the HID blast if it doesn't interfere with the Satellite Radio and GPS Antenna reception.

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
geokoppmann said:
Hans,

Once installed, the Ground Plane would be an ideal location for the HID blast if it doesn't interfere with the Satellite Radio and GPS Antenna reception.
George,

I went the other way and used the ballast of my HID as the ground plane for the XM. Ballast is under the nose cone and antenna is stuck to it. Works fine, no interference.

Really like that handlebar trick, though. :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
motorhead said:
Here was my XM tuner location & a shot of antenna mount ... BTW, reception is FANTASTIC!

Scott
Again I ask - after seeing this mount last year - when ya gonna make one for me? Oh yeah - needs to be SILVER :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Currently I'm connected thru the bikes Antenna using the 'FM Modulator/Antenna Box and Plug' that comes with the XM Direct "Universal Tuner Box". The 88.7 & 88.9 FM freqs. are interferred with interrmittentlty in my area - when one is affected, both are and the audio output is distorted to varring degrees.

When I figure out how, I will hard wire the XM Direct "Universal Tuner Box" directly to the K1200LT's radio so that the OEM volume knob controls the XM Radio output also. The literture that cines wih the "Universal Tuner Box"

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hit a wrong key before I proofed and finished my previous post n 'poof' it was posted.

The last sentence 'should have read:

The literature that comes wih the "Universal Tuner Box" is less than thorough - it assumes that the installer understands audio/radio installation.

I'm a novice at it and can use all the help I can get. (Don't be afraid to speak up guys.)

[Now click on the 'post . . .] key.]

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have "hard-wired" a few units in cars, as this just works better for me. There is interference when using the FM broadcast capability of the sirius units I have in cars. I am basically asking if anyone has hooked up receiver using the FM antenna wire of the bikes radio, and if you have is the bike's antenna wire the "standard" size or will I need an adaptor? I 'm wondering if someone knows, as I haven't torn the tupperware off to see size yet.
Thanks for any info..

·
Registered
153 Posts
See my previous comments - that's how I have mine operating currently.

I am experiencing 'Alternator Whine', (see my previous post

[ I just finished the installation of an XM Commander on my '01 K1200LT. The Control Head, (Controller/Display), installs nicely on top of the the Tape player in the Oddments Box while the Receiver Unit is installed on a foam pad where the Canister used to be located in front of the alarm siren under the trunk behind the passenger's seat.

I connected the accessory power lead to the green seat heat power wire next to the left fuse box under the passenger seat. That way the Receiver operates only after the key is turned to the on position. The Fused Power lead and the ground is connected to the Blue Ocean six fuse aux fuse box I installed on top of the battery. (Maybe that ground connection is a source of my alternator whine.)

The 'FM Out'' Relay Switch, (FM Modulator), installs between the bikes OEM male end lead from the OEM antenna and the OEM female antenna socket that serves the radio. It fits nicely under the Radio's tupperware cover behind the 3 plug mounts on the left side of the radio. It fitted in there nicely along with the extra 4-5' of wire connected to the Controller / Display in the Oddments box).

I installed the XM Radio Satellite antenna, (along with my GPS antenna), on a ground plane that I constructed and installed under the windshield just above the headlite assy in accordance with the instructions that fellow member Randy Prada posted [ http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=27289&page=13&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0 ]. (Thanx Randy, it works perfectly and the reception from both the XM Radio and the GPS has been bullet proof no matter which direction I've traveled thru the mountains north of here}

The biggest problem I've experienced with the use of the 'FM Out' (FM Modulator) connection is just what Arnold Hermes said about the lower FM freq's. interferring with the Sat. Radio transmission. Its a blasted annoance to have to hunt for a clear freq. everytime another transmission bleeds thru on top of the XM Radio reception HOWVER, it is nice to be able to control the volume and speaker selection via the OEM radio. You don't have that option when you connect the Receiver directly to an aftermarket intercom system. (At least I'm not able to with my old J&M MI-1550 Intercom.)

When I replace my old J&M Intercom with an Autocom system I plan to solve the volume control problem with individual rider and pax volume controls. That way I can connect the XM Radio Receiver directly into the intercom and keep the OEM Radio / CD Changer 'uninterferred with'. (I've always wanted to use that phrase somewhere - it just popped out here. Honest !)

I will post the pics. i took with my new 5 megapixel camera of the XM Radio installation and the Antenna Ground Plane construction and installation as soon as I can assemble them.
]),

which is NOT because of the FM Adapter that came with the XM Commander and the "Universal Tuner Box" but thru my old J & M intercom Model MI-1550.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts