BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I was washing my bike and I noticed a part was hanging off. Can someone tell me what it is and where does it connect?
It's hanging just inside the riders right hand side of the front wheel up inside the tupperware above the front wheel.
See picture.
Thanks,
Ellie
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
It's the thermometer sensor probe; mounts inside the tupperware there on a clip. You'll probably need to remove the panel to re-attach it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GRB60 said:
It's the thermometer sensor probe; mounts inside the tupperware there on a clip. You'll probably need to remove the panel to re-attach it.
Hi
Thanks for the response.
Is there anywhere I could get a picture or diagram to show me wear it clips on?
Ellie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
The picture shows the sensor in its original position on a MY2009 RT. The clips guide the wiring.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
Unless you have arms of rubber and great spacial relations you may just have to remove the plastic on the left side. The big secret to the plastic on the left side is to remove the two screws holding the glove box lid on when you get the upper plastic off. Then you can get the rest off and over the box opening. Only takes ten minutes and gives you confidence to tackle other "underneath" projects. Buy yourself a set of Torx screwdrivers at your local autostore/sears. Owning the bike, do yourself a favor and buy the factory service DVD. They are much better than years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
beech said:
Unless you have arms of rubber and great spacial relations you may just have to remove the plastic on the left side. The big secret to the plastic on the left side is to remove the two screws holding the glove box lid on when you get the upper plastic off. Then you can get the rest off and over the box opening. Only takes ten minutes and gives you confidence to tackle other "underneath" projects. Buy yourself a set of Torx screwdrivers at your local autostore/sears. Owning the bike, do yourself a favor and buy the factory service DVD. They are much better than years ago.
He means RIGHT side, or the one with the brake lever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
Sorry, yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
Ellie et al - On my 2009 you don't have to take the side panel off to access that location. You just have to remove the right upper "wing" part of the fairing - four bolts (two inside the front wheel well, one at the dash, one at the back). T25 torx driver. Then that upper "wing" pulls off and the temperature sensor is visible clipping to a now exposed edge of the side panel plastic. You don't have to take the bolts for the glove box cover off. And yes, it's on the right side.

On Gaby's picture, the edge is visible showing the wire and sensor clips. That's from the inside. The solid behind the sensor in the picture (where the shadow of the sensor shows up) is the inside of the wing, so when you remove that wing the sensor clip location will be visible. You might even see scratches in the plastic where it used to be.

I know pictures speak a thousand words, but I'm at work and I think they'd frown on me disassembling my bike in the parking lot and taking pictures on company time. Even if I am retiring in a week.

From what I understand there were a few variations in where that temperature sensor was mounted, including in the early RT12's moving it from the rear to the front. I think the important thing is to be sure it's mounted in the air stream, because that sensor feeds into the fuel injection system to help adjust mixture.

On remounting the wing, getting the holes lined up in the inside of the wheel well can be a bit tricky. Suggest you take one side off at a time so you can see the relationship of the side panel plastic to the wing panel plastic as you stick the bolts back in.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Good Stuff but that sensor is for the ambient temp display on the dash.
The IAT sensor in relation to fuel injection is located in the air box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
So, did all this information help you get that sensor back on? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
beech said:
So, did all this information help you get that sensor back on? :confused:
Yeah...Thanks very much.
I just noticed a new problem today. I see a couple of drips of some fine oily liquid on the back piece of my front mud guard. I wiped it off and rode home. When I got home there was a couple of drip marks again. I wiped my hand up in and around the fairing but I don't see or feel any leaks. I am thinking it might be either brake fluid or oil from my oil cooler. I am going to let the bike cool down and I can get a better look. I'm starting to think the dealer that did my last service doesn't do a very good job.
Ellie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
Clean things up well so you can find if there is an oily wet spot. And if it is really difficult foot powder spray will help you. It leaves a light dry powder that gets that damp look with oil or water leaks. Back piece of front mud guard.....do you mean front fender or plastic on the front of the engine? (that temp probe gets left of a suprising amount of times)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
beech said:
Clean things up well so you can find if there is an oily wet spot. And if it is really difficult foot powder spray will help you. It leaves a light dry powder that gets that damp look with oil or water leaks. Back piece of front mud guard.....do you mean front fender or plastic on the front of the engine? (that temp probe gets left of a suprising amount of times)
Hi
I mean back of front fender.
I'm going to look this morning.
Thanks,
Ellie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
Check your rim for oil marks, look at the brake calipers and maybe the fork seals. ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
I'd suggest that the first thing to consider is what was done at the last service if it is at all recent. That flapping thermo-sensor is a result of a tech failing to reclip the wires when putting it back after panel removal. There is no way in heck it could be loose otherwise- properly clipped it cannot come loose by itself.

Similarly, a fluid leak could be a spill not cleaned up, a poorly tightened fitting, etc.

So what services were done that might have opened a line? There are brake line junctions as well as oil cooler connections- were any of these recently manipulated?

Other suggestions made so far are also possibles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
racer7 said:
I'd suggest that the first thing to consider is what was done at the last service if it is at all recent. That flapping thermo-sensor is a result of a tech failing to reclip the wires when putting it back after panel removal. There is no way in heck it could be loose otherwise- properly clipped it cannot come loose by itself.

Similarly, a fluid leak could be a spill not cleaned up, a poorly tightened fitting, etc.

So what services were done that might have opened a line? There are brake line junctions as well as oil cooler connections- were any of these recently manipulated?

Other suggestions made so far are also possibles.
Hi
They serviced my brakes part of 40000km service.
That was a mistake to go to Budd BMW Oakville Ontario Canada.
I already contacted Wolf BMW. That is where I originally bought the bike. A bit more of a ride for service but at least they are not out to kill me.
Thanks again,
Ellie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
It will be interseting to find out what the problem is. If it is a brake fluid leak, due to improper service, Budd's should be notified. Not to start any dealer bashing, but they too have fallen short in my case.
Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BMWED said:
It will be interseting to find out what the problem is. If it is a brake fluid leak, due to improper service, Budd's should be notified. Not to start any dealer bashing, but they too have fallen short in my case.
Ed
Hi
I checked for drips today and they are no longer appearing. Maybe it was just spilled fluid. I will get it checked at Wolf next service.
Ellie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
New2rt said:
Good Stuff but that sensor is for the ambient temp display on the dash.
The IAT sensor in relation to fuel injection is located in the air box.
Oops, didn't know that. Thanks.

JayJay
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top