BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running FORTRAN 95 on a PC ??? I have what I believe is a very simple question (trying to learn this on my own): what is the precise syntax for an OPEN statement that will open a file on my hard drive, to which I can WRITE my computations?

PM me if you suspect (as I do) that nobody else on the LT list cares about this! :D

- Bob

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
bob_menton said:
Anyone running FORTRAN 95 on a PC ??? I have what I believe is a very simple question (trying to learn this on my own): what is the precise syntax for an OPEN statement that will open a file on my hard drive, to which I can WRITE my computations?

PM me if you suspect (as I do) that nobody else on the LT list cares about this! :D

- Bob
Just out of curiosity? WHY Fortran? You aren't riding that CB500 from the 70's either?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was reading an article somewhere (my memory isn't so great) that was a salary survey or skill survey or something like that... and apparently FORTRAN is still in use quite a bit. Surprising. I know that in a previous job for a manufacturing company, we still used the big F for process control systems (on old VAX systems) and some miscellaneous scientific stuff for the engineers...

I personally don't miss it. Sometimes progress is good.

Michael

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
BlueBeemerDude said:
I was reading an article somewhere (my memory isn't so great) that was a salary survey or skill survey or something like that... and apparently FORTRAN is still in use quite a bit. Surprising. I know that in a previous job for a manufacturing company, we still used the big F for process control systems (on old VAX systems) and some miscellaneous scientific stuff for the engineers...

I personally don't miss it. Sometimes progress is good.

Michael

FORTRAN is still superb for number crunching(no rounding errors), and would you believe COBOL is making a (re-)appearance - next, we'll have punch cards and paper tape :eek::eek: - then we'll have IBM 1604's and DEC10'S making a comeback!!! - then Honda 400 fours, and LEM's with the computational power of a modern wristwatch !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
andy said:
Just out of curiosity? WHY Fortran? You aren't riding that CB500 from the 70's either?
Not riding the CB500, Andy, 'cause the LT does it better. OTOH, I'm already familiar with older versions of Fortran, and know it will do what I want if I can get it to run on the PC. Progress is good (I guess), but not always necessary.

- Bob

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BobShirley said:
Hope the PM from my son was of some help.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC
Yes it was, Bob - I sent your son a thank-you. And thanks to you also, for bringing my query to his attention.

- Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts