BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my first fork tube seal. The seal & dust cover area look like someone had trouble replacing them before. There are tool marks on the ID surfaces & they are out of round. The dust cover ID is .020 out of round & the seal ID is .007 out of round. I just talked to the owner & he has never had any work done on the front end at all. This LT only has 18,000 miles on it. Has anyone seen tubes that look like this ?.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,452 Posts
saddleman said:
I'm replacing my first fork tube seal. The seal & dust cover area look like someone had trouble replacing them before. There are tool marks on the ID surfaces & they are out of round. The dust cover ID is .020 out of round & the seal ID is .007 out of round. I just talked to the owner & he has never had any work done on the front end at all. This LT only has 18,000 miles on it. Has anyone seen tubes that look like this ?.
That's wierd, Dave. Mine didn't look like that. And I'm pretty sure you've read thru this thread and the pics in it don't look like what you're experiencing. I guess the reason you're doing a fork seal replacement is because of a leak? Or an upgrade? Or??
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dick said:
That's wierd, Dave. Mine didn't look like that. And I'm pretty sure you've read thru this thread and the pics in it don't look like what you're experiencing. I guess the reason you're doing a fork seal replacement is because of a leak? Or an upgrade? Or??
Thanks for the link Dick & I had read it. This bike is rode once a year on a 4000 to 5000 mile trip & then sits until next year. I basically did a 24,000 mile service on this bike before his trip in two weeks. I did a 5 mile test ride & parked it in my garage.

While I was on the phone to him to let him know it was ready I noticed a few drops of red oil on the floor under the right side brake caliper. I traced the leak up to the fork seal. I know most of the employes at my local BMW dealer so I took it up to them to have a look at it. None of them had ever seen one look like that. There are no tool marks on the outward dent.

For now I'll install a new seal & dust cover so Ed & his wife can do there annual ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Wow Dave, that was butchered by *someone*. I had a similar issue on my KLR from the previous owner. It was dropped hard at some point and had an even larger deformation in the same location.

I used a large socket inserted in the neck and managed to push it back out by gently rolling and tapping with a small ball peen - luckily without cracking the metal. I had a helper hold on to the socket with an extension to keep it "square" while I tapped. I was going to heat it first but afraid I might anneal it and make it softer/weaker. It didn't come out all the way, but enough so the seal fit in completely. It hasn't leaked in a couple of thousand miles - holding my breath since I don't feel like forking ;) out a couple of hundred bucks for a new lower.

While you're there you might be interested in installing some boots to give the new seals even better protection - about $18.00 and another 15 minutes of time:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8763&highlight=installing+boots
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
saddleman said:
I'm replacing my first fork tube seal. The seal & dust cover area look like someone had trouble replacing them before. There are tool marks on the ID surfaces & they are out of round. The dust cover ID is .020 out of round & the seal ID is .007 out of round. I just talked to the owner & he has never had any work done on the front end at all. This LT only has 18,000 miles on it. Has anyone seen tubes that look like this ?.
Without knowing the orientation of the dents, I would guess crash damage.
Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
998 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Without knowing the orientation of the dents, I would guess crash damage.
Robert
that would be my guess
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Put me on the list as # 4, for crash damage.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The owner bought it new & it has 18,000 miles on it. It has never been crashed or dropped. This bike looks brand new & does not have a single scratch on it. It has been to the dealer three times once each for the 600, 6000 & 12,000 mile service.

I rode it 40 miles today & no leaks so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Gunther dropped it while building the fork at the factory. A quick glance around revealed no one was looking. Sooooooooo, together it went.

Loren
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top