BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer today and noticed a difference between the front forks that I have never seen mentioned or noticed before. The 2010 look like one piece(bottom portion) but the 2011 have like a triple clamp on bottom. Also look beefier.
Can anyone say what the difference is and pros and con of one over the other.

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a similar disscussion with a friend who has bought a 2010RT.
I said they looked exactly like the ones on my R1200ST I had previously. Perhaps when they stopped production of the ST they had a bin load of front forks they needed to use up?

My ST12 in Spain.

\v/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Daaron said:
I was at the dealer today and noticed a difference between the front forks that I have never seen mentioned or noticed before. The 2010 look like one piece(bottom portion) but the 2011 have like a triple clamp on bottom. Also look beefier.
Can anyone say what the difference is and pros and con of one over the other.

Thanks

As I understand it, BMW changed the suspension supplier in 2010~. Shocks and springs maybe forks included. Perhaps because of changes in international currency values. I believe old supplier was Japanese, Showa maybe. Japanese stuff got pricey, switch to (WP?)

IMO the newer items look much better. Meaty, nicely machined aluminum tubes in strong lower clamps. The old textured cast items as on my 2005RT look cheap in comparison.

Dont know if these changes affect performance in the least. But now that I think about it I'll add that my 2006 GS has the aluminum tubes. I believe all R1200GS do. As the GS is designed for on and off road use maybe the new design is stronger.

dmilan

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
That piece looks like what we always called a Fork Brace.

FYI the front down tubes are not shocks... but tubes... the actual front suspension is from that big ole lever just to the rear of the tubes and forward of the motor... just sayn'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts