BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble getting it correct. Any tricks other than whats published on both the BMW Motorrrad CD, and in the Clymer manuel? I am on my fourth attempt with this and am still having problem with right side brake dragging.

Already thought of stuck piston in caliper. $80 for kit plus brake fluid. New pads as well. Problem came about after fork reseal so I am sure it's an alignment issue.....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
If you have the axel bolt in then it is as good as it gets, unless you didn't do that part before you tightened the fork bridge attach bolts. I would loosen them on the suspect fork and loosen the clamp bolts at the axel then bounce as described in the manual. Then tighten the pinch bolts and axel followed with tightening the fork bridge bolts. That may solve your problem.

Also you need to set the distance at the axel to that specified in the manual (165 +/- 0.5 mm) and clamp the axel in before you secure the sliders to the fork bridge. Once all this is done the axel should be snug but easily slid in and out with the pinch bolts loosened.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just went through this after replacing a fork seal. Even though I just replaced the right side seal I ended up loosening the bridge on both sides, I then used the axle as a reference to find the point of easiest insertion of the axle through both sides. This took a little while to get just right, just a little bit too much initial tightening threw a slight bind or more resistance than what was ultimately achieved. I found the "sweet spot" after a few minutes of trying different sequences of snugging down before final torque. In my case I ended up snugging the right 2 bolts first, then the left front bolt and finally the rear left bolt to get the desired effect. I'm sure this would be different on different bikes, or perhaps each time the forks are removed.
The result was an axle that went in MUCH easier than previous. I had a seal go out early in ownership that was replaced by the dealer, I suspect they did not take as much time to go through the procedure (or they just use the manual specs and go with it). I swear the bikes handling has improved since I did this, my front tire has always ended up with more cupping on the left side since I've owned it (03 w/ 75,000). I always figured I may take more left corners but now I'm starting to wonder, I'll be curious to see if wear rate improves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts