BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALMOST

Had a vibration that felt like an out-of-balance wheel. It quickly became a one that felt like a flat tire. I pulled over, tires looked OK. Put it up on the center stand and found the rear wheel was loose. The center bolt was gone, the others weren't even finger tight!

I know I torqued them the last time I put the wheel on. I've looked back and see there are several thread referencing loose wheels.
Does anybody use Loctite on the wheel bolts?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
ALMOST

Had a vibration that felt like an out-of-balance wheel. It quickly became a one that felt like a flat tire. I pulled over, tires looked OK. Put it up on the center stand and found the rear wheel was loose. The center bolt was gone, the others weren't even finger tight!

I know I torqued them the last time I put the wheel on. I've looked back and see there are several thread referencing loose wheels.
Does anybody use Loctite on the wheel bolts?
Hey local :) I have not used Loctite on the wheel bolts.

Did you follow the manual instructions on how to tighten the rear wheel bolts? Going to post the instructions so you can reference it just to be sure you used the correct torque values.

Taken from the K1200LT repair manual PDF

Place back wheel with spacer in position against
rear-wheel drive and tighten all wheel studs
hand-tight.
• Working in diagonally opposite sequence, tighten
the outer wheel studs to 50 Nm.
• Fully tighten the stud in the centre.
• Fully tighten the outer wheel studs in diagonally

X Tightening torques:
Wheel studs
Initial tightening ............................................ 50 Nm ( 36.8 Ft Lbs)
Final torque ................................................ 105 Nm ( 77.5 Ft Lbs)

If so, I will be checking mine more regularly.

Reactions: beech

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I run different final drive ratios & mine only have 4 bolts & they never come loose using the BMW LT torque method.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Bolts go in clean and dry. No anti-sieze or loctite. Wire brush them if needed. Unless a manual specs oil, loctite or neverseize you need to lower the factory torque by about 15% as these items act as a lube and change the settings. (no anti-sieze on spark plugs, messes with heat transfer and torque settings, okay, I had a hole I thought was gauling and I use the tiniest bit of anti-sieze once)

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
98 K and never a loose wheel bolt when following the manual procedure.

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Hi, we have a guy in our local club that had the rear wheel come off his R1150RT at 50 MPH. He is an ATGATT guy ..He was a little beat up,..but he came thru it OK..His bike not so much... On his tire change's, He would put a little oil of the lug screws ,& just tighten them by feel.. :wave
The guys in our club talked him out of oiling the screws & to use a torque wrench after that:wink:

So, I helped him put new tires on his bike a few years later, & there was still a little oiley feeling in the holes..: I hosed the holes out with brake cleaner, We don't need it see him on the ground again:nerd:

·
Registered
794 Posts
There is a guy in FL who always brings his 2003 here for me to service.
I had put a front tire on it and he wanted to wait for the rear to be completely gone before replacing. So a few months go by and he calls me, and I say come up the weather is nice. But he decided not enough tread to make the trip so he hired a local shop to do the rear. A few months after that he and his wife were sport-touring I-4 and the bike started to wobble. He only had three loose lugs holding the wheel on.

I am his only mechanic again...:frown:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beginning to second guess myself.

Maybe I didn't torque the bolts. The last time I had the wheel off was when I replaced the rotor. I do know I had the EBC instructions out and on the bench. Was sure I had the Clymer book out too, but then removing and replacing a wheel is one of those easy jobs that breeds complacency. I've replaced the missing center bolt and torqued all five. I'll watch it closely for a while. Was quite a wake up call-

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Beginning to second guess myself.

Maybe I didn't torque the bolts. The last time I had the wheel off was when I replaced the rotor. I do know I had the EBC instructions out and on the bench. Was sure I had the Clymer book out too, but then removing and replacing a wheel is one of those easy jobs that breeds complacency. I've replaced the missing center bolt and torqued all five. I'll watch it closely for a while. Was quite a wake up call-
Erik, I'm glad you are OK. I think I have been diligent also but there is always the chance of a distraction. Because of that I usually check the torque at least twice at each stage.

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts