BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful day in the North GA mountains right up to the point where I wanted to fill up. In the Blairsville area, I pulled into 5 stations on Hwy 76 only to find that they were all out of gas. It was iffy for me to make it all the way home on what I had left so I counted myself lucky to find a station on Hwy 129 that still had some mid grade left so I topped off there. Hope others in the South East had the same luck I did and did not find themselves on the side of the road with an empty tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
This area of the mountains has been out of gas before.
We made sure to fill up our cars yesterday. When the hurricane killed gas production, it took a while for gas to make it back up here.
They focused on ATL and after a few days the trucks started making their way up.
So people panic and go out to fill up. My wife and I wen to the station at the same time we waited about 30 minutes to get to a pump.
Mainly due to people being stupid and leaving their cars at the pump, then walking away and not considering all the other peoples needs.
The station we went to has ten pumps. It was crazy.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
This area of the mountains has been out of gas before.
We made sure to fill up our cars yesterday. When the hurricane killed gas production, it took a while for gas to make it back up here.
They focused on ATL and after a few days the trucks started making their way up.
So people panic and go out to fill up. My wife and I wen to the station at the same time we waited about 30 minutes to get to a pump.
Mainly due to people being stupid and leaving their cars at the pump, then walking away and not considering all the other peoples needs.
The station we went to has ten pumps. It was crazy.
I attribute much of that to gas station policy. Many gas station proprietors get bent out of shape if you move from the pump before paying. I use CC when I can pay at the pump so that I can pump and go. I travel two-up mostly so if I can't pay at the pump, my wife goes in to pay while I am fueling.

However, those who pay in cash or want milk or lottery tickets aren't going to go in once to pay for gas, move their car and then go back in again for the rest of their shopping. So, the store "pay before you move" policy is the root cause.

Personally, I would like to see a CC only pump lane and a cash only pump lane. Then those of us who pay at the pump aren't blocked by those buying gas, lottery tickets, cigarettes and beer. Sort of like the tag lanes at toll booths.

Reactions: ProfSnape

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They jack the price up in an effort to prevent people from panicking and grabbing every small or large container they can find and pulling the small couple days reserve out if the ground and hording it like in mad max movies taking it from those who really need it but they do it anyways and complain about price gouging. I am old enough as many here are to remember the rationing of the 70's. You got 3 or 4 gallons and that was it and the lines were unbelievable.

Will we end up like this? :bike:

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I carry about 1/2 extra gallon of gas in my side case when I travel away from home.
After this weekend, I think I am going to buy one of those.

Reactions: ProfSnape

·
Registered
682 Posts
Luckily my cage is a Prius and the weather is mild right now. I filled up on Saturday night and turned off the AC in the car. I should be able to go a week and a half at least on this tank. I'll keep my eyes out and top off on an opportunistic basis. Shouldn't be an issue for me. Hopefully you guys are all good and no one ends up walking.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pillion Susan is currently caging it back from Nashville to Atlanta from a girls weekend out. If she has a full tank when she leaves, she should be able to make it all the way. If she can't find at least one place to fill up on route, I may be heading out with my gas cans for a rescue run.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just remember to rotate it out every 6-8 weeks, particularly with E10.
I do that with my home cans I keep filled up with premium. I mow the lawn with it and keep filling my bike from them before I ride so I always leave home with a topped off tank. If it gets low and my bike is full, I just pour it into my car and then go fill it up again with fresh. I would do the same with the spare ride along but a very good point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts