BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of my friends and I just completed a 4897 mile run from Summerville, SC to the Southwest and back in nine days. The first 1500 of those miles was an Iron Butt run which we completed with in the 36 hour time frame (less than 35 hours with delays for accidents on the interstates and lots of rain in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Oklahoma).

My 2006 K1200LT did great. Along with me was an Ultra, a Yamaha Vulcan, and a R1150GS. The guy on the Vulcan is now getting a 2008 Ultra.....

We had a great time touring the Four Corners and Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon, the Red Canyon, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

There was an annoying disappointment to me though. Most every bike we met regardless of make gave us the traditional biker wave or acknowledged our wave. The exception was not one but two LT's did not offer or return our wave with me in front leading the way. One was in I-40 near Oklahoma City the other in Albuqueque and so close we could have shook hands. This did not go unnoticed by my Buds and of course they are having fun ribbing me about it. One of their favorite comments are to the effect ' that thing is so big it is all the poor devil can do to ride it, if he waved he may loose it...

So there are SNOBS on LT's as well....... :eek:

Disappointed Gene

·
Registered
624 Posts
Why BMW riders don't wave:

Your hand might freeze if you take it off of the heated grip!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts

Too often get the finger in return from guys on Harleys...multiple times I have received that response.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
BMW riders too busy adjusting cruise, gps, radio, windshield, etc to wave. duh.

If I'm not concentrating on something else, I always wave to everyone on a motorcycle.

Cut them some slack. May have been looking elsewhere, or saw the cruisers and decided to snub them first.,..lol

I see no correlation to what you ride and whether you wave or not in my riding.

Randy

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
They don't want to spill the cappuccino they are holding in their right hand while the left hand is plugging new coordinates into the GPS!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Briantime said:

Too often get the finger in return from guys on Harleys...multiple times I have received that response.
In all my 40+ years of riding various bikes, the last three on my LT, I have never once encountered or heard of such a response to a "biker wave". How do you get them to give you the finger? My personal experience is like Gene's, it's the LT riders who seem to not notice or not respond to passing riders "hey bro" wave. -Chuck-

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wave at everyone on a motorcycle, including cops. The only people that consistently do not wave back are not brand related but handlebar related. Those with the very high (ape hanger) handlebars almost never wave. I think they are afraid to let go. :histerica

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Finger

charlieg said:
In all my 40+ years of riding various bikes, the last three on my LT, I have never once encountered or heard of such a response to a "biker wave". How do you get them to give you the finger? My personal experience is like Gene's, it's the LT riders who seem to not notice or not respond to passing riders "hey bro" wave. -Chuck-
Sorry, I did a search and now see how you get them to give you the finger, the "LT wave".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
LT Wave

I used to wave at everyone when I had my Yamaha. Now that I have an LT, I find that I rarely wave at anyone who is not riding a Beemer......LOL.......Yeah, right! I wave at everyone. The best bike in the world is the one you are riding. Ride safe and have fun....... :histerica

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must admit I will use some of the reasons above in rebuttle to my ribbing.

Me if I am able I wave or at least give a nod with head. If they do not wave back I consider it their issue not mine.

Thank you for the input.

Gene

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Just tell em we have a secret wave.

Its really cool they couldn't detect it.

BMW riders are much to subtle for HAWG!!!! riders.

:--))

Bob, 0h 0h LT

·
Registered
353 Posts
GBaker said:
Me if I am able I wave or at least give a nod with head.

The same here, Safety first. But some times I do not wave if the rider is just wearing a helmet, sandals and shorts.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Newf said:
The same here, Safety first. But some times I do not wave if the rider is just wearing a helmet, sandals and shorts.
Exactly. In view of the average age of LT riders (see age threads) I wouldn't want to see most of us in shorts either. :histerica

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wave at everyone EXCEPT. . .

It is my nature to wave at everyone, including scoots and trikes. :)

But over the years, I've gotten very tired of not receiveing a return wave from the Wingdingers, so I gave up waving at them. It's their loss. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
What kind of bike was that?

You make me feel so inadequate. There is very little chance that I'll notice what kind of bike oncoming drivers are sitting on in time to decide whether to wave or not. Moreover, there isn't a much greater chance that I'll notice what the drivers are wearing. If I tried to notice, I'd probably steer right into them.

An LEO friend tells me he doesn't wave anymore. Too many bikes on the road these days. There is some logic to that. Back in the far and few days, meeting another biker was an event. Nowadays, I can't drive to the local 7-11 without encountering several. Has the tradition outlasted it's purpose? Especially with so many newbies on the road today.

Question about group etiquette: does only the front rider wave, or the front/last rider, or should everyone?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
If the group rides together a lot, they should have sessions so that they can wave together, just like a synchronized swimming team. :))

Was it KDOG or Munson that first came up with the LT wave?

Yea. I remember it from the Little Rascals shorts.

Bob 0h 0h LT

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
BecketMa said:
If the group rides together a lot, they should have sessions so that they can wave together, just like a synchronized swimming team. :))

Was it KDOG or Munson that first came up with the LT wave?

Yea. I remember it from the Little Rascals shorts.

Bob 0h 0h LT
'Twas that Mary Kay rep, Grif!!! :histerica

·
Registered
805 Posts
Regional differences

Personally, I wave (or rather, loosely hold out a hand unless I am gearing up or down). It's my way of acknowledging another person's choice of mode of transportation. I've gotten to the point where I do not expect anything in return, and so am not disappointed if there is no return wave. In the northeast my experience has been that 30 - 50% of motorcyclists wave, usually as a return wave rather than a spontaneously generated wave. During a recent longer ride, I was surprised to find that nearly every motorcyclist and nearly every pillion waved, often spontaneously, in large parts of Canada, the Pacific Northwest, the Prairy states, and the midwest (outside of large cities). Motorcyclists in those areas are also much more likely to start conversations at rest stops and gas stations than I am used to. Harley owners in particular seemed to make absolutely no "status" attributions based on the make of other motorcycles. What a refreshing difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts