BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

ion Do you ride (occasionally or frequently) without bags & without the crash guards attached?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding with sport riding friends, I usually leave the bags at home and remove the rear crash guards - they are there to protect my bags in the event of a low or zero speed drop, not to protect in the event of a lowside.

When I remove the crash guards there is usually some light rust or discoloration of the stubs. This doesn't look great, so I made some caps to go over the stubs left on the bike, which also ensures the Allen bolts and the contoured washer don't get lost.

· Registered
609 Posts
I keep those bars on because I always ride with my panniers in place. If I did remove the panniers, I'd also remove the illium rear bars while riding that way.

· Registered
10 Posts
I bought a pair of “shorty” rear guards from Ilium to use when not mounting the panniers. They work great as I had a low speed tip over and the muffler was totally protected as the shorty bars kept it off the pavement.

· Premium Member
75 Posts
I bought a pair of “shorty” rear guards from Ilium to use when not mounting the panniers. They work great as I had a low speed tip over and the muffler was totally protected as the shorty bars kept it off the pavement.
Do you have an Ilium part number or able to post a link for the Ilium website location where you found those shorty rear guards?

· Registered
10 Posts
Do you have an Ilium part number or able to post a link for the Ilium website location where you found those shorty rear guards?
30-850-001B for the right side guard
30-850-002B for the left side guard

I was told this is not always in stock as it’s not often requested. I had called John to ask if he had ever done this design. With the base mount on, I just switch guards depending if I using panniers or not.

· Registered
609 Posts
30-850-001B for the right side guard
30-850-002B for the left side guard

I was told this is not always in stock as it’s not often requested. I had called John to ask if he had ever done this design. With the base mount on, I just switch guards depending if I using panniers or not.
I couldn't find them on the Ilium Works site and I tried searching by model number. Are you sure those numbers are correct? I would love to see what they look like.

· Premium Member
576 Posts
I left an email message for John at Ilium to get back to me to discuss the status of ordering these. Have not heard back yet.
Just talked with John about the shorty .....he said he was gonna send me a pic for the "shorty"

Reactions: darrell
1 - 16 of 16 Posts