BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my LT mid 2004, was one of the first face lift models. 15 years later it still puts a smile on my face and turns heads wherever I go. Its worth very little in sale or trade value, but I figure I've got back in pleasure many times over what I paid.
My biggest expenses have been suspension (upgraded to Wilbers) and more recently clutch. Each a whole lot cheaper than buying a new bike.
My biggest concern is reliability on a long trip (LOL perhaps I just spend too much time on this site ) but to date she has never left me stranded on the side of the road. How long have you owned and are you still committed?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bought my ‘07 in 2013.
I’ve done international trips with it.
No issues on the road.
Planning to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I too bought mine new in June or 2004 and have 112,000 on it. I have done the clutch once and the transmission input shaft bearing. Then it started using some oil at 90 K so I just finished a re-ring and she doesn't use a drop now. Ready for another 100 K.

Reactions: djmellor

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I bought my LT mid 2004, was one of the first face lift models. 15 years later it still puts a smile on my face and turns heads wherever I go. Its worth very little in sale or trade value, but I figure I've got back in pleasure many times over what I paid.
My biggest expenses have been suspension (upgraded to Wilbers) and more recently clutch. Each a whole lot cheaper than buying a new bike.
My biggest concern is reliability on a long trip (LOL perhaps I just spend too much time on this site ) but to date she has never left me stranded on the side of the road. How long have you owned and are you still committed?
I bought my 2007 new in June of 2007. So, I will have had it 12 years this coming June and have just shy of 74,000 miles on it. It has yet to leave me stranded other than the time I ran out of gas in Oregon. I am not counting the time it died in my driveway the morning after getting home from a 5,000 mile trip from PA to Newfoundland. The u-hose in the fuel tank sprung a leak as we were riding out to breakfast. I was about 1/4 mile down my driveway and had to haul it back up with my trailer. I got lucky on that one.

I have gotten much pleasure out of my LT, but I also got a lot of pleasure from my 1987 Voyager XII (owned it 17 years) and with much less cost and maintenance. So, I still have mixed feelings about the LT.

As to being committed, I would say I am committed for at least a couple or three more years. I put a lot of effort and money into it coming up on three years ago (how time flies) when I repaired the clutch, replaced brake lines, added Wilbers, did the FIBIB mode and a few other sundry and assorted things. I bought an RDL this winter after a bear stuck its claws into my wife’s seat last fall. And I am in the process of doing a 24K maintenance and replacing the fuel lines, both internal and external, and the radiator hoses and already did the FD pivot bearings.

As to reliability, I have some concerns, but I still plan to head to Alaska this year with the LT and we shall see how that goes. I had far more confidence in my Voyager than in the LT, but that is simply due to the failure history of the LT. The Voyager had only one real failure during the time I owned it, leaking pinion seal, and otherwise it was just change oil, filters and tires and ride it. No valve adjustments and everything was easy to get to other than the fuel pump, but that never gave me trouble. And when I sold it after 17 years it still had the original brake lines and radiator hoses and they were still in great shape. And neither of this items was a failure point as on the XII, at least they never made it to the AVA forum as issues.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I bought my 2004 in June of 2008 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 198,000 miles on it. I bought my 2000 a few years later with 52,000 miles on it and it has 135,000 miles on it now. I have a 2000 & a 2005 I have disassembled for parts. I have a 2008 with 110,000 miles on it that I will have for sale later this year. I have only been stranded once with a broken u-joint on my 2004.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I bought my 2000 in 2008 with 30,000, and it now has 199,700 miles. I have done the clutch at 94K, and the new final drive (BMW covered this-long story) at 130K.

Stranded twice-broken throttle cable, and final drive failure.

Stock seat, windshield, added Mic-o-peg, Backrest, Clearwater lights,

Heading out for 50CC April 1.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I bought mt 2004 in June of 2008 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 198,000 miles on it. I bought my 2000 a few years later with 52,000 miles on it and it has 135,000 miles on it now. I have a 2000 & a 2005 I have disassembled for parts. I have a 2008 with 110,000 miles on it that I will have for sale later this year. I have only been stranded once with a broken u-joint on my 2004.
Those burnouts on a heavy bike are rough on the u-joints. :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
12-yrs. Will keep it until they pull the grips from my cold, dead hands. :)

Have fun,
Jer

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Those burnouts on a heavy bike are rough on the u-joints. :grin:
Haha it broke on a power shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. The u-joint had no grease in it because a dealer that had changed a transmission seal under warranty didn't get the swing arm boot sealed to the trans. Water in the swing arm had washed the grease out.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bought mt 2004 in June of 2008 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 198,000 miles on it. I bought my 2000 a few years later with 52,000 miles on it and it has 135,000 miles on it now. I have a 2000 & a 2005 I have disassembled for parts. I have a 2008 with 110,000 miles on it that I will have for sale later this year. I have only been stranded once with a broken u-joint on my 2004.

You had 5 LTs. 3 running and 2 JIC?
Thank God you exist. I don’t feel so guilty anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Got my LT in 2014 so 6 years running. By the records I could pull, I was the 4th owner at 50K, now at 64k. Am I committed, for as long as I can still get parts for it. Updating things as I go alone to keep it reliably on the road. A farkle here and there to make it my own. It seems to me one of my bigger expenses time and money wise. I do enjoy riding it though, and have made some really good friends as a result.

Reactions: pwbentz and sailor

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bought my 2003 K1200LTC in March of 2004. After break-in miles I loaded up my gear and rode a 12,500 mile trip from Ohio throughout Alaska without a glitch. The only problem I ever had with this bike was a post-warranty leak in the ABS Modulator pump that necessitated a very expensive replacement ($3000) and a long layover (11 months) in the dealer’s shop. My wife came down very hard on BMW corporate, resulting in they picked up 25% of the repair bill, and oversaw the completion of the repairs. If it is any consolation to the depreciation of the value of the K1200LT, I have two close friends who ride Goldwing 1800s. The bottom has fallen out of their market just as bad, and the very expensive repair bills have plagued their Goldwings too. At the same time, the companies have a straight face quoting mid-$30,000 replacement prices. ...but, they sure are comfortable for the long haul.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I had my 2007 LT for 10 years, then traded it on an R1200 RTW. The SO and I toured all over the western U.S and Canada on the LT and even when I traded it in, I was amazed at how current the design still looked. What a great bike.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Got my LT in 2014 so 6 years running. By the records I could pull, I was the 4th owner at 50K, now at 64k. Am I committed, for as long as I can still get parts for it. Updating things as I go alone to keep it reliably on the road. A farkle here and there to make it my own. It seems to me one of my bigger expenses time and money wise. I do enjoy riding it though, and have made some really good friends as a result.
When you going to take a real trip on that machine? >:)

Reactions: Mark65

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Bought my 2002 LT with 1,000 miles on her and then over the next 8-9 years added another 50,000 trouble free miles. The K1600 was announced and I've been on her since 2011/12 with another 40,000... trouble free miles.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
We got our 2002 in early 2003 in was sold as a new bike to us, but it was a demo bike with around 3000 miles on it . We have close to 80,000 on it now, it is a full time sidecar rig . If my wife goes we take the sidecar rig, but if she stays home I take my '10 GSA .

Reactions: Mark65

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Bought our 2000 K1200LT Icon in 2000.
Put 100,000 miles on it.
Gave it away as a wedding gift in 2018.
That's 18 years and 100,000 miles for you folks like me who are slow at math. ;)

Even with a shiny new 2018 K1600GTL in the barn, I still have very mixed feeling about parting with the KLT.
World's Greatest Pillion Rider is a very tolerant sort, but she notices the difference, and it isn't positive; KLT > GTL.
I find something lacking too.

New windshield and Aeroflow "winglets" will get tested as soon as maple sugaring season is over and some spring rain has washed the sand and salt from the roads here in the Deep South of Vermont. We hope that such upgrades will help the GTL approach the grace and comfort of the KLT.

Dahm, I sure wish BMW had put a K1200LT on the K1600 platform. I waited 8 years for that, and it didn't happen. I folded.
Not sure I should have. (I'm going to miss the KLT, should'a kept it.)

The saving grace is that my gifted KLT is being much appreciated by the newly wed couple.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
... I have only been stranded once with a broken u-joint on my 2004.
I have a pic of Dave in the parking lot of a motel in Jay, Vermont taking his KLT apart trying to figure out the problem of no power, no acceleration, or some such thing.

If I recall correctly, he rode home in "limp mode" from Jay, Vermont to his home in Huntersville, North Carolina.
That's a stretch.

So he wasn't stranded.... not really. He is the Saddleman after all.

I'm off to find that photo.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
When you going to take a real trip on that machine? >:)
Russellville AR was close to a real trip. I fear the next will be farther out west.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts