BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with an '05 or '06 know how the chrome handle on the trunk case lids is attached/comes off?

I am looking to buy a damaged trunk case lid from an '05 and take off the chrome handle and install on my '04.

Thanks...Karl

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Handle? Wish mine had a handle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK then, let me rephrase, how is the chrome accent piece on the lid of the trunk (right above the trunk latch) attached? Does it appear that it can be removed?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just a GUESS, but based on the chrome trim on my black '03 LT, take a look at this post:
http://faq.bmwlt.net/#trim_strips
It MAY be glued. I'm familiar with that piece on the new model - I think looks cool - but if there is no screw found on the inside of the trunk lid, I'm guessing it's glued.
I don't have an '05, nor am I as knowledgable as some of these folks, but I do know BMW uses this method if they don't screw it on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The chrome handle is held on with screws. Four or more if I recall. They also use real thin foam tape. Use some fishing line to to slice through the tape and you'll hit the screws, give you an idea where they are located.

You must remove the inner black portion portion of the case top. This portion is screwed and glued (look underrubber seal) in place. Its a real pain.

I found an 05 top case that was damaged pretty good. Salvaged the carpeted liner, lockng latch and hardware and after alot of work, the chrome handle. I used ample 3M BSM trip tape to attach to my '02. Didnt want to drill holes on my trunk top to reattach with screws.

As the trunk was trashed, I ended up drilling access holes in the plastic inner liner of the trunk lid to unscrew the handle attaching hardware. As I recall they actually use two different size screws to attach the damn thing.

Make sure to clean the painted suraface and center the handle correctly before applying to your bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks 5K...you answered my question perfectly!

I sure wish there was another option to add this other than stealing from a boneyard piece from a trashed bike. I called Bob's and they told me this piece can not be purchased separately and the only option was to spend $800+ for the top of the trunk ONLY!

Other options that I have seen on this forum, like the kitchen cabinet stainless handle, just don't hit me right...wanna try and improve the bike without losing the OEM look.

Karl

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Safedog said:
Thanks 5K...you answered my question perfectly!

I sure wish there was another option to add this other than stealing from a boneyard piece from a trashed bike. I called Bob's and they told me this piece can not be purchased separately and the only option was to spend $800+ for the top of the trunk ONLY!

Other options that I have seen on this forum, like the kitchen cabinet stainless handle, just don't hit me right...wanna try and improve the bike without losing the OEM look.

Karl
Hey, Karl - before you do the deed, take a stroll thru a West Marine store, or their internet catalog. Boats gotta lotta grabrail thangies - might be sumpthin' there less 'kitchencabinetee'. Just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Somebody non-BMW makes an alternative handle. I checked Ztechnik and Ilium Works and don't see it, but I have seen it online somewhere recently. It's shaped completely different from the newer top case piece you describe, but it could be an alternative for you.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
GG Motorrad Technik made one that looks like this:

Not sure if it's still available.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Chrome Handle on trunk

I am one of the few guys who have actually added the factory chrome trunk handle to my 2004 LT.I got it from Germany via a friend of a friend in Australia. I ended up paying $120 for it and saw another unit like it auctioned on Ebay for over $300. This was the orginal equipment chrome piece which cannot be ordered seperately in the USA. To answer the question: the bar is installed with a thin layer of double sided sticky rubber that comes with the unit and two supplied pop rivets ( no screws). You have to drill two small holes from a supplied template then attach the bar peeling of the paper backing on the sticky rubber. You then attach the pop rivets. A 15 minute install. Too bad you can't order this unit from from BMW USA. Ron Ray

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Did your piece come with a BMW part # on the packaging?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Part number for chrome handle

Meese, I'm pretty sure I kept the instructions. I'm in N.J. this weekend on vacation. I'll check when I get back to S.C.on Monday. If I have the part # I'll be glad to post it. Ron Ray

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
ronlray said:
Meese, I'm pretty sure I kept the instructions. I'm in N.J. this weekend on vacation. I'll check when I get back to S.C.on Monday. If I have the part # I'll be glad to post it. Ron Ray
Ron,

I'm sure Jodie put it in a closet somewhere! Do people really vacation in New Jersey? Ha!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Vacationing in N.J.

Allen, yes they do vacation in N.J. Ocean City N.J. that is...on the Beach! My new Granddaughter is having her dedication this weekend and it is a GREAT place to be. I guess I was getting to close to Canada and I know how you feel about Canadians! Ha! Ha! your Beemer Buddy, Ron

·
Registered
256 Posts
The handle would appear not to be available in the UK or Europe either. I seem to recall a long while back one of the Australian members stating they were available there and he was offering to post them out. Just can't find the thread. Maybe some current Australian members could throw some light on the subject. Coz I quite fancy one as well. :D

Just found this after I posted...the part number might be "7 700 656", not sure how accurate that is, found it in a 2005 post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts