BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At six foot five and 35 inch inside seam my 2010 RT feels a little cramped in the legs. Has anyone got experience of the peg lowering kit sold by Nippy Normans in the UK. If so how easy to fit and how does the set up fit with regards to lever positions.

Cheers

kev

·
Registered
40 Posts
I fitted a kit today. It's not the version from NN's but similar. The kit makes reference to both new brake and gearbox levers with a curved neck restoring them to the same level if the pegs were in the original location. I simply rotated the gear lever down about 30mm measured using a ruler and spirit level downwards and adjusted the brake pedal using the stop screw / bolt and push lever which goes into the actuator. Now everything is fine as with standard height pegs albeit it about 25-30 mm lower which does make a difference. I am 6.2".

Good Luck

Nick

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The peg lowering kit from Suburban Machine is popular here.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Ponch said:
The peg lowering kit from Suburban Machine is popular here.
Copy that - money well spent!

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Suburban Machinery +3

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could any of you guys who praise the Suburban kit give me some elaboration on it? For example, given that it does not allow for any modification to the brake lever position, does that cause some awkwardness in its use?

I find it hard to believe that a mere 1.4 inches lower and a fraction of an inch more forward makes an especially noticeable difference over a long day of riding (a day that would entail hundreds or maybe even more than a thousand shifts with the left foot that, given the torquing that requires at the ankle, knee and hip joints, produces quite a bit of painful discomfort in my 64 year old bod). But you guys seem to feel it makes an enormous difference so ....

Also, have you found that it does lead to peg-scraping with any troublesomely greater frequency?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Roadsurfer, I detect a basic misunderstanding of the mechanics involved.

You can easily re-position the Shifter as well as the brake (before) or after installing the peg lowering kit.

You ask why we like it... it is an elegant job of machining. Installs in mere minutes and looks totally factory one done. Plus it is expensive and that always goes well with any thing BMW.

I am not a tall guy but I did find far greater comfort with lower pegs. Yes, we ride thousands of miles on trips and yes I have peg lowers for my passenger too.

If you need to reposition either shifter or brake search this forum for previous posts on the subject or ask...

By the way... you are right, I am not 64 years old... I am 67, and find the RT comfortable in all regards.

·
Registered
421 Posts
RoadSurfer said:
Could any of you guys who praise the Suburban kit give me some elaboration on it? For example, given that it does not allow for any modification to the brake lever position, does that cause some awkwardness in its use?

I find it hard to believe that a mere 1.4 inches lower and a fraction of an inch more forward makes an especially noticeable difference over a long day of riding (a day that would entail hundreds or maybe even more than a thousand shifts with the left foot that, given the torquing that requires at the ankle, knee and hip joints, produces quite a bit of painful discomfort in my 64 year old bod). But you guys seem to feel it makes an enormous difference so ....

Also, have you found that it does lead to peg-scraping with any troublesomely greater frequency?

Thanks.
I installed the Suburban Lowering Kit on my 2011 RT. The quality of the kit is superb and the lowered pegs look like they came that way from the factory.

Once the lowered pegs were installed, I removed the shifter arm and rotated it on the splines down one notch and that seems just right for me. On the brake arm, I removed the shaft that pushes up into the piston and shortened it as much as possible. The length is adjustable by loosening the lock nut and screwing the two ends down all the way. I had to remove about 3/16" of the threaded portion of the shaft with a dremel cut off wheel to allow the pin that connects the shaft and the brake arm to align. Next, I purchased a 1/2" longer adjusting bolt that threads into the brake arm just in front of the pivot to angle the arm down as much as possible.

As to if the lowered position will be enough for you, I can't say, but for me it made a big difference. As for clearance, I corner aggressively and I can't make the pegs contact the ground.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also put a Suburban footpeg lowering unit on my 2011 RT.
I felt the 1.4 inches made a lot of difference.
I did have a shifter extender on that seemed to interfer with shifting with the new position. Once I removed it I found I did not have to reposition the shifter.
I never have had a problem making contact with the lowered footpegs.

So far I win the age battle. I'll be 74 next week.

I just received my Corbin seat and went for a 50 mile ride yesterday. Felt great. Will go about 200 early this week to see what a longer time in the saddle feels like.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Suburban Machinery also! Gear shift moved 1 notch down and adjusted the brake pedal down a bit!

Big improvement, worth every penny and The SM version looks completely stock!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
suburban Mach. From my 05,06,07,08,09 and 2011 RTs and they make a good bit of difference.
6'5" with 35" inseam.
I have to try and grind the pegs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for that info and recommendation, guys.

I realize I probably should have posted my questions on the K1200/1300GT forum, but it was this RT forum that came up best after I did a search for "peg-lowering." So maybe the SM components are somehow different for the K1200GT than for the RTs. But Sally at SM sent me an email stating very explicitly, on behalf of her husband, that the brake lever cannot be repositioned with their kit's application to the K1200GT.

In any case, with your rave praise for the SM mod, I think I'm sold, regardless.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

Since starting this thread I have fitted the lowered pegs so here is an update. Supplied by Nippy Normans in the UK and the quality is real good.

Brake lever is now adjusted fully on the slave adjuster to take it down an inch or so but then you find the lever stop screw is not long enough - no problem as the lowered pegs come with a longer screw.

Gear lever requires that you take the footpeg mounting plate off and rotate the lever one spline - ten minute job.

The spring arrangement on the peg pivot can be a challenge to refit until you realise why the grey plastic sleeve has an angle on it - its to aid assembly and it works when you do it as intended.

Bike is more comfortable now but you find that lowered also means pegs move out as well so you need to swivel foot to get to levers - not a problem.

Kev

1 - 14 of 14 Posts