BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Gang,

Okay, I know a few people, myself included, that are contemplating whether it's worth the trip all the way to the OTHER Coast. Thought I'd share some musings and see if anything strikes a chord with anyone.

First off, Nancy is NOT going to give up the extra days to ride out via a direct route, let alone by a visually enticing one. New job, too big of a commitment, etc.. it's simply too far in too short a time.

Second, I don't like burning up a ton of vacation traversing the wide open spaces of this country. Already seen a bunch of it and can't afford to lazily meander all of the back roads. A couple of days is okay, but not too many more than that.

I'd love to ride the South and CCR is a great environment to operate from.... so

/start musing/ :rolleyes:
  1. Ship out needed items ahead of CCR
  2. Men folk depart Friday 8/28 afterwork on the LT's and get in a few hundred miles (maybe 400)
  3. Saturday and Sunday put in back-to-back SS1070's to complete the total 2,539 miles on Sunday evening, 8/27 .
  4. Women folk fly in on Sunday and we meet them at "A" hotel, not necessarily the Chateau Elan, that evening. Nancy and I are talking about Charlotte, or Savannah for a night or two or three before CCR.
  5. Do our thing in the South and CCR for the week.
  6. On Saturday 9/2 we drop the bikes at the local BMW dealer for container loading and shipping to ..... A&S?
  7. We all fly back on Saturday night.
  8. Pick up bikes at A&S later in the week.
/stop musing/:confused:

Airfare shouldn't be too bad. A container should hold a minimum 8 m/c without having to break them down too far. Cost to ship a container s/b around $3,000, or so, about $375 a bike. The numbers don't seem to bad. We might be able to pull this off if we plan far enough ahead.

The only way I see it happening is if we can get commitment from at least 8 of us on the concept of return shipping of the bikes.

Don't be bashful, go ahead and muse out loud :eek: it's :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Have you identified a shipper who can get the bikes from Atlanta to Sacramento in a week? I shipped my LT dealer to dealer from Memphis to San Jose and it was about 3 weeks before it got here, and that was via the AMA and Federal Van Lines.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Careful Billy...I said something kinda similar last month, and got hammered by Messenger 13 and his flock for being to much of a wimp to make the ride....After all, the LT is a long distance touring machine don't you know....Seemed that they couldn't understand that others have jobs and other commitments and all that!!! Personally, I don't really think I'm a Frenchy Chateau kinda guy. I'll take the woods and a rustic cabin anyday. If I was closer to Georgia, I'd do it just because it's great to see the group together and the day rides will probably be real nice, But drive, ship, fly clear across the Country.....not for me this year. I'm positive that it'll be a great time for all that attend though.

Good luck with the wolves.....They can smell fear a mile away!!!

They spell real good too so don't let them catch you with Fat fingers on the keyboard.

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
No can do CCR 2006. :( Too many reasons it will not work next year.

I have some ideas for a West Coast Alternative. Something along the lines of a six day, six town poker run across Central & Northern California and Southern Oregon. ;)

If there is enough interest, I will start putting an outline together.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
It's early yet and a lot can happen between now and then but I'm planning on going. Also I will ride both ways, did it for Gatlinburg and had the time of my life. It was Hot or windy or raining hard enough to wash the road away, wouldn't have missed it. Managed an SS2000, a BB1500 and a SS1000 on the trip all with great Posse friends.
Thoughts are these:
Will take the friday off before, leave Friday morning or Thursday after work. Coming home leaving Saturday and arriving home Monday Labor Day. Take the Southern route there, Northern route home both routes are about the same distance. Much of it interstate which will make the 850 mile days fairly easy. This type of riding is not for everyone and it's not for large groups. But can be split in to groups of no more than 3 to 4 alike riders that can meet other groups at the hotel at night.
Not sure if I'm going to plan any IBA rides but no matter how it's going to be done - It will be a great adventure, Just Ride it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like your Idea Bob....Sounds like fun. Not quite the fanfare of a CCR, but much more manageable. I'd like to do a big loop, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon and back down maybe????

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
RaffyK said:
Really thinking hard if I will make CCR 2006....
I'm thinking hard about whether I'm going to go, too. It is a long ride there and back, and I don't think I personally would attempt any Iron Butt rides considering the heat and humidity through the south that time of year (a bit gun shy after getting so sick going to Gatlinburg, I guess). So if you assume 500-600 mile days and some time for "just in case" type of things, it's a 5-6 day ride to get there, 4 days at CCR, then 5-6 days back, or about 2 1/2 weeks of travel/vacation time for 4 days at CCR. Who knows, I may go, but I'm seriously debating it.

OK, while sitting here I got thinking about the east/west thing and ran a few numbers. I measured the "as the crow flies" distance from each CCR location to the Atlantic and Pacific and split them into 3 regions (I just noticed time zones work, too). Here's what I found -

CCRs east of the Mississippi (2) - 362 miles to the Atlantic (avg)
CCRs west of the Rockies (3) - 850 miles to the Pacific (avg)
CCRs in between these landmarks (1) - 888 miles to the Atlantic, 1568 to the Pacific

So when CCRs are in the east, they tend to be fairly far east. But when in the west, not so much. Yes, I know, we're supposed to ride these things, and I don't mind doing it. I just don't know if I like the idea of using 65-75% of my vacation time burning freeway getting to and from the event.

OK, I'll shut up now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Looking Ahead

I realize CCR '06 is still a long way off, but if there is anything you need me to do between now and then PLEASE let me know.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Here is a little travel distance information for your musings:
All milages are from sacramento.

Northern Route: I-80, I-29, I-70, I-64, I-24, I-75 - 2529 miles to Atlanta a little over 36 hours on the road at posted speed limits. Add an average of 90 miles from the Bay area.

Middle Route: I-80, Hwy 5O, I-70, I-64, I-24, I-75 - 2531 miles to Atlanta a little over 38 hours on the road at posted speed limits. (But if you know 50 across Nevada and Utah, you know you can increase your average speed) add an average of 90 miles from the Bay area.
Note: This route can be altered many ways across CO & KS.

Southern Route: I-5, 46, 99, 58, I-15, I-40, US78, I-20 - 2486 miles to Atlanta at 37 hours on the road at posted speed limits. Subtract an average of 40 miles from the Bay Area.

Any of these routes can be done in three days at an average of 844 miles per day or a little over 12 hours of riding plus stops. Four days at an average of 633 miles per day or a little over 9 hours of riding plus stops.

Life is an Adventure - Ride It!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tallyho said:
No can do CCR 2006. :( Too many reasons it will not work next year.

I have some ideas for a West Coast Alternative. Something along the lines of a six day, six town poker run across Central & Northern California and Southern Oregon. ;)

If there is enough interest, I will start putting an outline together.
We'll have to pass on CCR 2006 as well. A west coast alternative six-day/town poker run does sound interesting.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
amarider said:
It's early yet and a lot can happen between now and then but I'm planning on going. Also I will ride both ways, did it for Gatlinburg and had the time of my life. It was Hot or windy or raining hard enough to wash the road away, wouldn't have missed it. Managed an SS2000, a BB1500 and a SS1000 on the trip all with great Posse friends.
I did the ride to Gatlinburg with John and Raffy. It was a blast butt, like John sez, it's not for everyone. :eek:

I'm thinking about doing it IBA style again. Perhaps a CC50 going out there and a BBG3k coming home or vice versa. The BBG3k is a ride I would really like to try. This way the additional vacation time is not an issue.

The to go or not to go question was a "no brainer" once Barbara saw the Château Élan video! She will fly both ways since she and IBA style rides are oxymoronic... (is that a word?). :D

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
ltcommuter said:
The BBG3k is a ride I would really like to try. This way the additional vacation time is not an issue.:D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sacramento to Fargo ND to Atlanta Ga is 3072 miles... :D
Nice Northern route, not much traffic

·
Registered
17 Posts
I envy you guys

When I see what kind of distances you guys are talking about, I get green with envy. I work in Qatar and even if I do ALL the tarred roads in the whole Country, I will not be able to do 600 Kilos and then it is all flat and straight.

Not really why I bought "The Truck". At least I can play "Water Truck" for the other guys in our normal riding group once a week.

Enjoy the rides.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I will likely pass on CCR06 just due to the days it takes to get there and return.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I like Billy's idea of riding one way and flying back but....it still sounds like it can be expensive
Gas..motels..bar tabs food for a week...Resort for 4 days...bartabs.....shipping bikes back..airfare..more bartabs...knickknacks...shoot looks like 2500 plus....not even sure if that includes booze :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
:p Why don't all you west coast weinies stop all the crying!

Take a bus!!

:D

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Attaway Jay! Give it to them good...... :p

These are touring bikes right? ;)

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
jayz9705 said:
:p Why don't all you west coast weinies stop all the crying!

Take a bus!!

:D
How do you enable "Ignore posts?"...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've been watching this post since there are quite a few folks from NorCal I know. I know vacation time can be an issue, but I sure hope y'all figure out a way to make it there!

I just bought a Pace trailer that I am going to convert into a bike trailer - I need to check the weight limits on it but it's long enough to hold 3 bikes staggered. At this point, I'm not planning on trailering to CCR but if the interest is there, I could throw the GS on the trailer and haul it along w/ the LT and whatever my wife is riding to CCR. That way if a couple of you want to fly out and use the GS (or the LT for a day or - I got's to ride you know) you can - just swap out days or whaterver. Think of it as the HDDC VIP treatment ;).

If I don't end up trailering, was thinking of a CC50 to either start or end CCR - although Jacksonville to San Diego is the easiest, maybe we can do a JAX to SFO run. Any interest?

<spam> On the other hand, I have a week at a timeshare in Hawaii that I can't use since I'm going to CCR, that's for sale ;) :D - $1,500 in a Marriott property first part of June. <end spam>

1 - 20 of 52 Posts