BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Foam inserts

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve_R 
#1 ·
I noticed a foam insert about one inch square and four inches long tucked in behind the front winglet, is this from the factory or has someone tried to add some anti rattle?

#2 ·
Eric: there is foam "edging" running under the black instrument-panel covering (cockpit-cover?), along the perimeter of instruments.

That could be what you see. The foam disintegrates with age and floats all over the nose piece - I had it coming out even at the steering head cover, it took me a while to figure out what it was.

If that is what it is, no panic. Schedule taking care of these during next serious maintenance, because you need to pull off the tupperware and the nose piece, to be able to tilt away the black cockpit cover.

I removed all the leftover crumbling foam. I did not have anything more suitable and wanted to get going with my maintenance, so I used 3/4" thick Frost King adhesive foam tape, between the black cover and the clear instrument panel "glass". In sections I had to double this up. I do not expect this to last too well, for next off-season work I'll try to get some better adhesive, thicker UV-resistant foam.

I am not really sure what is the function of the foam - possibly it prevents light bleed-through in the instruments, and does bit of vibration damping.

#3 ·
Nope, this is right along the side bumpers.
Runs horizontal.

#4 ·
Then that is put in to keep the bottom cowling and the upper tupperware from rattling. That modification is in the Hall of Wisdom. Lots of other good information in there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.