BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On several occasions after the bike has been parked for a while, a small spot will be found at the six o'clock position just to the right of the rear wheel. The center of the spot is bluish in color and as it soaks into a paper towel the outer area is a pale yellow. It has only dripped on the very right edge of the tire the first time and has not driped on the wheel or tire since. I have been unable to find any wet spot on the underside of the bike above the spot. I thought, at first, that I was facing my third rear drive failure in 95,000 miles but now I am not so sure. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a couple of photos but don't know how to attach them.

Bob Schrader

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Loosen the rubber boot on your drive shaft, pull it back a bit, see if it is dry. If not, dry it up, ride the bike, leave it overnight and see if it leaks again. Might be moisture has gotten into the drive while riding in the rain. There are 2 seals that could be the culprit if leaking persists, but with only a drop or 2 I would not worry too much at this point.

Are you riding in mountainous area? Might be overflow from your final drive as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. The perplexing thing is that the whole rear drive/brake assembly/drive shaft areas are dry as a bone . The only thing that is to be found is the usual road dust and dirt that accumulates as we ride. I live near St Louis so no mountains and haven't ridden in any rain. This whole thing is very puzzling since there is a problem but no clues to lead anywhere.

Bob Schrader

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
It's that Mountain Dew in your sidecase, Bob. :histerica ;) ;)

Make up a small plumb-bob thingie with short string and a weight and see where that leads you above the drippage spot.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Is there a small drain hose there from a previous canisterectomy? It looks like water based moisture and not oil based according to the picture to me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It looks like brake fluid to me. If it's gear oil it has that distinctive gear oil smell, if you think it may be brake fluid, hit it with some fresh water from the garden hose and it'll foam up, a dead give away. Then look for the source, either the calliper or the fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mystery solved. After pretty well eliminating any leaks from the bike itself, we turned our attention to the tire. What was found was a very small hole about the size of the point of a pin right of center on the tread. When that is towards the bottom of the tire, greenish liquid will leak out and drip on the floor. I am told by Dave Clark at Forever Endeavor Cycles that it appears to be Slime. However, neither he nor I remember adding any when he mounted the tire. Surprisingly, there has been practically no air pressure loss even though I haven't added air in some time. Bottom line is to ride and monitor the air pressure.

Thanks for the different suggestions as they all helped in the process of elimination.

Bob Schrader

1 - 7 of 7 Posts