BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed fluid in the housing, although it is not a lot, riding all the way to ccr with a trailer, I feel I need to change out the seal while there is still time. Is the correct part number for the output seal 23 12 7 656 019 ? just want to verify, it has been a while since I did it last. thanks. 2002 LT

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bell housing is dry so far, no sign of fluid through the weep hole there. I beleive it is the output shaft seal that is leaking. This seal is less than 2 years old, so maybe it was a bad batch that was shipped to dealers at that time. It was seated correctly.

cfell said:
If it's wet in the bell housing area, you'll probably end up walking.

So, will it be a short or loooong walk?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
If it is the rear tranny seal I would not worry about it unless the fluid is flowing out of it. A small amount behind the boot is not cause for alarm.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
jzeiler said:
If it is the rear tranny seal I would not worry about it unless the fluid is flowing out of it. A small amount behind the boot is not cause for alarm.
Hey John, with both the final drive and tranny using the same fluid, how would you know which direction the oil is coming from. I have a seepage on my 01, but don't know the best way to determine the source. Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
Doug,

It is kind of hard to tell unless you pull the rear drive just what the source is. Most common is the rear tranny seal but the pinion seals have been known to leak as well but no where near as often. Might be a good idea to run red line in the tranny and regular synthetic in the rear drive and let the color tell the story.

When my rear tranny seal started leaking it actually came out of the front boot on the swingarm (it wasn't fully seated).

Do we need to set up a tech session?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
sheldan2 said:
I just noticed fluid in the housing, although it is not a lot, riding all the way to ccr with a trailer, I feel I need to change out the seal while there is still time. Is the correct part number for the output seal 23 12 7 656 019 ? just want to verify, it has been a while since I did it last. thanks. 2002 LT
Heh Mike!
Long time no see... When we replaced my leaking trans output seal a Pastor Jack's, my part number was: 23 12 1 340 324. I just checked A&Ss micro fiche and it showed that number. I hope it isn't happening though! Good luck buddy!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
jzeiler said:
Doug,
...Might be a good idea to run red line in the tranny and regular synthetic in the rear drive and let the color tell the story...
...Do we need to set up a tech session?
I'd like to try your idea first with the RedLine and verify which seal it is, then take you up on that offer to change whichever seal is bad. I do have a HF lift so it could be my place or yours. Thanks for the input.

Sheldan2, didn't intend to hijack your thread, but it is related! :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you Averil for the info, it is good to hear from you again,I hope everything is well with you and your family. I will go and get a replacement seal in the morning whether it is the problem or not.

JATownsend said:
Heh Mike!
Long time no see... When we replaced my leaking trans output seal a Pastor Jack's, my part number was: 23 12 1 340 324. I just checked A&Ss micro fiche and it showed that number. I hope it isn't happening though! Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem Doug, we are all here to help out or get information as needed.

Sheldan2, didn't intend to hijack your thread, but it is related! :)[/QUOTE]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts