BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be headed to Ft. Meyers on the 16th to get my LT and ride it back to MI. I plan on taking mostly back roads avoiding the freeway most of the time. I want to ride the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherahola skyway. I would love any input regarding things to avoid as well as must see things that I haven't thought about.

I have never been to Key West and am thinking about heading down that way for a day before I head north.

Thanks for the input.

I would also be eager to meet any of you that want to do part of the ride with me.

David

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What Dave said and try to avoid going there on a weekend if you can,
on Friday evening half of Miami drives down that two lane road to KW and then they all return on Sunday night.
Take the long way Card sound road, you'll thank me if you do

When you see speed limits 35, key deer or Florida Panther habitat, your choices are to go the speed limit or contribute to the local economy, it's their municipalities only revenue source and "heartily" pursued.

How much time have you got? I did this approximate route (to Grand Rapids) last year, I took my time 5 days.

Going North I would suggest you stay center state maybe hwy 27, avoid Orlando and I-95 unless you like traffic
coming out of Florida 441, 221 or 129 will take you through the center of the Georgia "steambath"
again obey the speed limits in the small towns,

While going through rural GA you'll "pray for rain" and you'll usually get it
it just won't last long enough to cool you down,
remember drink water lotsa water

once you get to N Georgia (I'd aim for the NE GA and western SC corner)
you've got fantastic riding in all directions,

beyond the Dragon (over rated waste of time) and the Sherrolla (nice)
you could pick up the Blue Ridge Park way which will take you almost 500 miles towards DC, (awesome)

from there try to stay in eastern Ohio it has lots of rolling hills and farm land (western Ohio is flat with corn fields)

When you get close to Michigan I'm sure you'll know which to way to go,
I'd go up 37 a ways then take it over to 31,

damn I wish I was going with you!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the info!!

I'm lucky, I have a great wife and she has given me a pass for the whole week!!. I don't have a deadline and can take my time.

I will avoid KW on the weekend.

Thanks again.

David

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a question for you guys. How come my thread doesn't show up on the home screen on the left side with the latest posts??

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
dthogey said:
I've got a question for you guys. How come my thread doesn't show up on the home screen on the left side with the latest posts??
Pardon the interruption, butt not all forums are headlined in that Home Screen left column. Been this way for years. Note that the topic for that column sez:

Recent Threads (select forums).

I'm guessing it's a page layout decision and some forums had to be eliminated on the Home Screen in favor of ones with more traffic. Like I said - just guessing. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thank you Dick. Still kinda trying to find my around here!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
dthogey said:
Ok, thank you Dick. Still kinda trying to find my around here!
Me too --- and I've been here dang near 11 years!! ;) Been thru all the iterations starting with eGroup forums, yahoo, and others.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I made it home today. Rode a total of just over 2700miles. I did do an overnighter down to Key West. Had great weather and a great ride with a buddy.

I took the advice and rode up thru the center of FL north to Macon. From there headed NE to Maggie Valley, NC. A great little town. Stayed at the Holiday motel. It was great! The owners will bend over backward for you. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

I rode both the Dragon and the Cherahola as well as parts of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Had great weather the whole time.

I headed north and ended up in Lexington for a night, from there I headed east to check out the Jim Beam distillery south of Louisville. I stopped at a place called Conners Prairie north of Indy.

From there I made my way North avoiding the FWY most of the time. Ended up in Grand Rapids for the 18,000 mile check up and then on home with a very rainy cold ride for 2hrs.

Thanks again for the advice!! :)

David

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Sounds like a great trip except for the couple hours of cold rain,
doesn't surprise me though, it's a Michigan tradition :)

Maggie valley is a great little town
some of my friends moved up there and they know some of the locals that have a still up in the hills.

I always stop there on the way back to Florida, and pick up a couple of mason jars
strictly for medicinal purposes of course. :toast:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts