BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever unknowingly find out you may have bought a bike that had been in a flood?

2 years ago, my initial tranny oil change had something in it that looked like a strawberry milkshake when it drained. I did some research and found out that there is a product called red line that is red and they make specialized lubricants so I thought maybe i had something really expensive and strange from a PO. Never saw a picture of it to know if it was more like oil or a milk shake to allay any suspicions of water contamination. It was slick to the touch and I used air in the fill hole to blow as much of it out as i could and refilled with BMW Syn and didn't think much about it till I pulled apart my final drive and see lots of sludge from water. Now I am wondering if the bike had been submerged at some point and that red stuff was actually water contaminated gear lube. :crying: So far, I am not experiencing anything really bad with the bike yet. I know they do this to cars as well. There was no record of flood on the vin history but I suspect it is easier to get away with on a bike than a car. I have a camera on a stick I can try and look in the tranny with next oil change which I think will be soon to see if there is evidence of water inside or not.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've got Redline in my bike and I could see it's color described as strawberry milkshake. I would describe it as creamy/cloudy red in color. I just checked my photobucket and don't have any pics of it, but when I get home this evening I'll take and post up a picture of what it looks like new out of the bottle so you can make an assessment (unless someone beats me too it).

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got Redline in my bike and I could see it's color described as strawberry milkshake. I would describe it as creamy/cloudy red in color. I just checked my photobucket and don't have any pics of it, but when I get home this evening I'll take and post up a picture of what it looks like new out of the bottle so you can make an assessment (unless someone beats me too it).
Well, that is at least somewhat comforting. I look forward to seeing the pic of it. Possibly it is just my FD that is contaminated maybe from a PO using a pressure washer on it. read that was an early cause of failure on the police bikes.

Never bought the stuff before so no point of reference.

Thanks Steve

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
Hopefully all your sludge in the rear drive is from condensation. I have seen that before.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully all your sludge in the rear drive is from condensation. I have seen that before.
Also good to know. It had very few miles on it for several owners before me. The first owner seems to be the only one who actually rode it.
Looks much better inside now.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry about that, I got home on Friday and forgot to take a picture and the weekend got crazier after that. Here is a picture of new Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil. It's not time to change my fluid yet so new is the best I can give you for now. It still smells like gear oil for reference.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about that, I got home on Friday and forgot to take a picture and the weekend got crazier after that. Here is a picture of new Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil. It's not time to change my fluid yet so new is the best I can give you for now. It still smells like gear oil for reference.

Yeah, that would be what oozed out causing me to wonder as it is cloudy and not translucent like normal oil. I feel better, thanks for the follow up post with pic.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Good news to hear, rest easy tonight knowing that the previous owner spent more money on fluids than practical and is like my previous owner who filled the transmission and final drive with ATF.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 8 of 8 Posts