BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two wires pulled out of the connector body before I could see were they went. There is a red and black wire, fairly heavy gauge, routed into the stinger, (intercom???). The male side of the connector has a series of green and brown jumpers, with only one green and one brown wire pinned out. I need to know, do I hook up, red to green, or brown, (black to green or brown). Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Does it make a difference which year bike you have? I have my stingray off now. I'll run out and take a photo or two if that would help. Be right back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah sorry, its an 02. I tried to upload pics, no luck. The plug is about 2.5 inchs wide, six pin. It is NOT mounted to the bike, just laying under the stingray.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,119 Posts
You need to reduce the size of the photos to around 100 x 75 pixels to 230 x 150 pixels or so. MS office picture manager will do that.

Sounds like an aftermarket connector for running lights maybe.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've got a red and a black wire, pretty straight forward. On th eother hand, I've got a lime green wire and a brown wire...which is HOT, brown???

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have my stingray off, just put the tank back on, and there's nothing like you're describing. Can you tell where the wires are leading to or from? Could they have been pulled from under the nose? Pics would sure help.
Are you farily certain that it actually is a BMW plug?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
jzeiler said:
You need to reduce the size of the photos to around 100 x 75 pixels to 230 x 150 pixels or so.
I don't think that's right, that would only be a postage stamp picture. 1024x768 pixels is a good size or even 800 x 600. I think it matters more the size of the file but I don't know what that limit is.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,119 Posts
mwnahas said:
I don't think that's right, that would only be a postage stamp picture. 1024x768 pixels is a good size or even 800 x 600. I think it matters more the size of the file but I don't know what that limit is.
That is the size of most of the "thumbnails" you see at the bottom of a post. The site does limit photos to 800 x 800. Maybe my recommendation was a bit of over kill.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't know about the plug. Doesn't sound like anything under my 09'. But for sure on most all BMW's that I know of, the Brown wire is going to be ground or negative ( - )

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've asked Brian to e-mail me the photos of the plug, hoping to ID it, and possibly to post here. In the meantime, I'm going through my wiring diagrams, and only find two plugs as he's described. One goes the the motronics, and the other to the ABS.
Does anyone wonder, as do I, that someone "jumped" the ABS to disable it? Possibly because the unit went bad. Anyone know it that's even possible?
If I get the pics from Brian, I'll try and post them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should be able to send some pics today. Just so we are straight, the plug is NOT jumped out. Out of the six pins, two have wires coming out, one brown one green. The "jumpers" I mentioned go to the other four pins, (green, brown, green, brown). Basically making three pins hot, and three pins ground. Does this make any sense???

I guess if all else fails, I can wait until I get the bike back together and put a meter on it.

Thanks fellas,

Brian

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've gone back through the Climers wiring diagrams, and still the only 6 pin plug I find is to the ABS. It shows 4 browns (brown always goes to ground), one red and one green. Every red and every green (or any combination of greens) ultimately goes to a power source, either switched or fused.
I do believe that a photo is the last option, or put the bike back together and see what doesn't work anymore.
Sorry, but that's the best I'm able to find.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sorry to say that blurry pictures are almost useless. Every digital camera has a close up mode. Need to find that mode and post pics again.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Thanks Tommy, I thought it was just me. I even tried to save them, but couldn't gain any ground there either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The pictures are clearer as thumbnails, weird. Anyway, I have had my stingray off a bunch of times, and don't recall seeing a connector like that one. My guess is aftermarket something. See where it leads...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the shitty pics. After all of your feedback, I'm thinking aftermarket CB??? I'm gonna put it back together and put a meter on the plug before hooking it up.

THanks guys!

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts