BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I hit something on the road that punctured my rear tire while crossing a bridge. Coming off the bridge, The bike wobbled a little, but I thought it was a cross wind (common in that area). Now when I recieved the puncture I was moving at about 40 mph. At the bottom of the bridge I was at about 60 mph. Still not sure that anything was wrong I continued on maintaining 60 mph. On the curves (gentle 55mph curves), the bike was resistant to turn but managed just fine. This told me there was an issue but I was only a couple miles from home. After a couple more curves I was sure a tire was going down, so I wanted to get it home. Getting home I found there was 0 air in the tire and I had been running on a flat. The sidewall did not give at all so there was no loss of control and I even was able to put it on the sidestand and then up on the center stand. This was a huge surprise because on previous bikes if I had a quick flat it was a matter of getting control and not crashing before getting stopped. This instance was like running on a run flat. I have always been a Metzler user and am now more than ever. I assume this is the reason for the extra reinfored ME880 BMW recommends on this bike. I will never complain of the cost again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
On a west coast trip two years back I took nails in my front and rear Metzeler z6s in separate incidents and found the same thing to be true. The bike's handling started getting a bit sloppy and I pulled over to check it out. I was going 60+ in Stevens Pass, WA (front) but it was uneventful, as was the rear blow out near Buffalo, WY.

I wouldn't think this would be brand specific behavior, however.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't go down, just another testimonial to this great machine.:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sheradan said:
Saturday I hit something on the road that punctured my rear tire while crossing a bridge. Coming off the bridge, The bike wobbled a little, but I thought it was a cross wind (common in that area). Now when I recieved the puncture I was moving at about 40 mph. At the bottom of the bridge I was at about 60 mph. Still not sure that anything was wrong I continued on maintaining 60 mph. On the curves (gentle 55mph curves), the bike was resistant to turn but managed just fine. This told me there was an issue but I was only a couple miles from home. After a couple more curves I was sure a tire was going down, so I wanted to get it home. Getting home I found there was 0 air in the tire and I had been running on a flat. The sidewall did not give at all so there was no loss of control and I even was able to put it on the sidestand and then up on the center stand. This was a huge surprise because on previous bikes if I had a quick flat it was a matter of getting control and not crashing before getting stopped. This instance was like running on a run flat. I have always been a Metzler user and am now more than ever. I assume this is the reason for the extra reinfored ME880 BMW recommends on this bike. I will never complain of the cost again.

I had similiar experience but was traveling at around 100 mph down a 2 lane streach of road through a very flat area of Ohio. I have no idea when the tire lost air pressure as I had been traveling on a straight road and had not been at 100 mph for very long. I did notice when I came upon a semi and pulled out to pass and realized something was not feeling right. I could not pull off the road because there was only a very small shoulder so I saw a closed business with a large parking lot and no cars only problem is it was gravel. I was able to get the bike slowed considerably before entering the lot but was probably still going 30 mph and was afraid to hit the brakes to hard. I got the bike stopped just as I was rolling up into the businesses front lawn. The bike did extremely well at handling. I had not thought about it until I read your post I did have the Metzlers on then and still do run them but have thought about tring something different as I do not feel comfortable on them in the rain but they do seem to last for a fair amount of miles and I do feel that the dry weather handling is very good. I guess you have to compromise one thing for another. Since I do not tend to ride in the rain very often and always ride more cautiously when I am. I guess the Metzlers are a good fit for my riding style. A better wet weather tire can be had but you will most likely give up dry road handling or mileage same goes for a better dry handling tire you will most likely give up mileage and wet weather handling

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
I rode about a 100 miles on a Bridgestone 020 rear on my LT with no air & other than being a little different in the corners it rode just fine.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
This is the exact reason I run Ultraseal ( or Slime ) in my tyres....
A smallish puncture should self-seal so you can still ride safely until you decide to get the tyre repaired, or not. I rode out the last 3000km of a Metz with a screw in it and no air loss...
Take it for what you will!
Glad you had a safe ride home!
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts